Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Sadly I just bought this tank yesterday. I’d hate to have to clean another one & send back. I will be more than happy to see a green house top. If I can put some sort of cover over part of the metal top, would that help?

Also just for ranting sake, why are the closed chamber tanks not sold at stores? They give us the wrong items for fun or what 😅😅😅
This is the sort of thing I was referring to when I mentioned that you had found and followed the usual old wrong advice. Almost every source is saying the same wrong stuff. Breeders, vets, pet stores, FB, YT, reddit... All wrong. Many many people go through this and it is terribly frustrating.

Some people get lucky and find us. Many people don't, and go through even more frustration and heartache, never realizing what was "wrong" since they did everything the pet store said to do and spent all that money, time and effort, trying to make everything perfect. Even though this can be maddening, take solace in the fact that at least you know now, and you won't have to learn all this the hard way after losing your tortoise.

The thread I linked for you explains much more. All your questions are welcome. They are not childish. No one is born knowing this stuff. People like me and Yvonne, and many others here, have been keeping tortoises of many species for several decades, and we've had to learn all these things the hard way through many failures and mistakes. Trial and error. And many errors, let me tell you... Imagine how frustrating it would be to try and fail for DECADES before figuring all this out. You get to learn it all in one day just for the asking. Realizing you got bad advice and having to change everything all around is certainly irritating, but at least your beautiful new little tortoise will be alive and well through all of this.

Sincere welcome to our community. Stick around and be part of the solution! :)

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thank you!!! And thank you for the photos of the green houses. I am going to get my contractor father to draw up a print so we can build a cool top & hang the lights on the metal mesh. I think that’s the best way for us to go without going crazy
No problem at all, always happy to help where I can😊
Sounds great! if you do make a topper, I’d remove the mesh altogether and hang the lights from the frame if it were me, I think securing them on the mesh might be too low for the uv(I’m not sure on your enclosure height) and it’ll be better for uv to not be shining through mesh so none of the light is wasted😊but definitely keep us in the loop and post pics if you can on your progress🥰

Welcome to the forum btw!❤️

Newredfoot24

Ohio
No problem at all, always happy to help where I can😊
Sounds great! if you do make a topper, I’d remove the mesh altogether and hang the lights from the frame if it were me, I think securing them on the mesh might be too low for the uv(I’m not sure on your enclosure height) and it’ll be better for uv to not be shining through mesh so none of the light is wasted😊but definitely keep us in the loop and post pics if you can on your progress🥰

Welcome to the forum btw!❤️
Thank you! I found this greenhouse top that will fit her tank and when I changed the lights, she has come out of her shell 😅

The morning sun warmed up the water in that little dish so she was very happily taking a nice soak and she’s been cruising around a lot more. The top will be here tomorrow, and I’m pretty sure that I can secure the lights nicely to remove the lid

The tank is
Size:
36 in L x18 in W x18 in H

Capacity:40 Gallons

Attachments

• IMG_6741.png
    IMG_6741.png
    351.5 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3

Newredfoot24

Ohio
This is the sort of thing I was referring to when I mentioned that you had found and followed the usual old wrong advice. Almost every source is saying the same wrong stuff. Breeders, vets, pet stores, FB, YT, reddit... All wrong. Many many people go through this and it is terribly frustrating.

Some people get lucky and find us. Many people don't, and go through even more frustration and heartache, never realizing what was "wrong" since they did everything the pet store said to do and spent all that money, time and effort, trying to make everything perfect. Even though this can be maddening, take solace in the fact that at least you know now, and you won't have to learn all this the hard way after losing your tortoise.

The thread I linked for you explains much more. All your questions are welcome. They are not childish. No one is born knowing this stuff. People like me and Yvonne, and many others here, have been keeping tortoises of many species for several decades, and we've had to learn all these things the hard way through many failures and mistakes. Trial and error. And many errors, let me tell you... Imagine how frustrating it would be to try and fail for DECADES before figuring all this out. You get to learn it all in one day just for the asking. Realizing you got bad advice and having to change everything all around is certainly irritating, but at least your beautiful new little tortoise will be alive and well through all of this.

Sincere welcome to our community. Stick around and be part of the solution! :)
Thank you so much!!!! Speedy is doing wonderfully today 💜 alert & walking

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Speedy is already moving around & showing their happiness.

I truly appreciate all the help!!! 💜🐢💜
That makes me so happy to hear🥹
Hope to see you stick around on the forum to update us on speedy’s life adventures🥰
As always, if there’s ever anything you need to ask, we’ll be here💚🐢💚