Lighting Question-Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewTurtleMommy

5 Year Member
I currently have a Zilla Slimline 25 UVB 15 watt fixture (no heat output). I HAD a Zoo med basking light that burned out (Beginning to think maybe the fixture itself is wonky). I have read/heard a normal household lightbulb is sufficiant..is this correct? fyi-my Boxie is inside in the guest room and temps do not go below 75 degrees. Please any advice or suggestions appreciated!

(enclosure is 40 gallon rubbermaid with screens over and the lights resting on the screens on either end)

bllauben

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Marine City, Michigan
I would not use a household bulb. I prefer T-Rex 100 watt flood bulb with UVA/UVB out put. The ZooMed powersun is also acceptable. The UVA/UVB light range is extremely important as it helps (correct me if I'm wrong) with the absorption of calcium and making vitamin D.

Granted, these light bulbs are expensive, but so is keeping tortoises. You can try buying them online as I have noticed they are cheaper than in the petstores.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Beth (bllauben) has given you good and correct advice. And here's where I deviate a bit from "good and correct." I have raised many, many turtles and tortoises using regular 100 watt incandescent bulbs. However all my habitats are outside, even the hospital habitats...protected and in the shade, but outside. A regular incandescent bulb for heat is much better than no bulb at all. Plus, box turtles, like Redfoots, eat animal protein and get a bit of the D3 from their food, so its not as important to have them under a UVB bulb.

Just an FYI: If your screen material has very tiny mesh, it effectively blocks out the beneficial UV rays. The heat gets through, but I doubt any UV from the Zilla is making it through.

NewTurtleMommy

5 Year Member
Thank you. I am always confused as there is such different information that varies by website. I will probably just get another ZooMed basking bulb-he seemed to enjoy it. After this winter Booker will be back outside in his enclosure-thank goodness! It seems to be a LOT easier to keep him outside! My screen is just one of those typical aquarium covers/screens-I guess I could get my hubby to drill some holes in the ceiling and drop it down to hang over-do you think that would be better?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, that would be better. The Zoo Med power sun is a good choice also, but until then, a regular incandescent bulb will work just fine.

NewTurtleMommy

5 Year Member
So with the Zilla UVB light I have on him now, I would need the PowerSun, with more UVB? I was under the impression I only needed one UVB light, and a light for heating/basking? Sorry for all the questions-just getting confused. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm pretty sure your Zilla light is for an aquarium. At any rate, its just too small (15watts) to be offering any kind of UV for the tortoise. You can get rid of that once you buy the PowerSun.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
I'm just a newb, but from what I've gathered thumbing around the forum is that if your tort can be outside on the regular to receive natural sunlight, you can use a regular flood or beam bulb to heat your enclosure. I'm sure others who have more experience will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
ok gonna pipe in with my .5 cent.

By zilla uvb, I'm assuming you mean either a tropical 25, or desert 50? (the lamp itself, not the fixture) in which case that SHOULD be plenty of UVB for the winter as long as there is no screen between the turtle and it (and make sure the plastic cover is not installed as well, Rocky's previous owner left it on, even though there was a sticker right on the fixture saying to remove the cover for uvb useage *face palm*) and it is about 12 inches above. I'd also suggest placing it next to the basking light. That way a normal incandescent will work perfectly fine for a basking light, and the turtles eyes will adjust to the brightness of the basking light preventing possible eye damage from the uvb. That will also leave the other end dark so the turtle can get away from all the light if he/she wishes.

NewTurtleMommy

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone! I checked the fixture last night and it is a ZILLA DESERT 50UVB-it says on the package it is suitable for Russians, Sulcatas, andLeopards. I assumed it would also work for a box turtle. I have a 100 watt household bulb as his basking light and plan to go to the pet store today, since the fixture itself states to decrease risk of fire to not use anything over a 60watt...since I am a fire paranoid type of gal, I am going to follow that particular suggestion! Lol.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
NewTurtleMommy said:
Thanks everyone! I checked the fixture last night and it is a ZILLA DESERT 50UVB-it says on the package it is suitable for Russians, Sulcatas, andLeopards. I assumed it would also work for a box turtle. I have a 100 watt household bulb as his basking light and plan to go to the pet store today, since the fixture itself states to decrease risk of fire to not use anything over a 60watt...since I am a fire paranoid type of gal, I am going to follow that particular suggestion! Lol.

Yes, Please do, those ratings are VERY important.
Hardware stores sell "Brooder Lamps" for $13 in my area rated for 300 Watts. Personally I use those instead of paying premium for the pretty black ones :)

Status
Not open for further replies.