Lighting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuntdouble

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, Ca
So this is the light I picked up to provide the UVB are these the best for not damaging eyes while providing the UVB? Should I turn on the heat lamp during the day as well in a concentrated basking spot? I'm running a 150w CHE 24hrs

The bulb is 5.0uvb 30%UVA

Attachments

• image-589779782.png
    image-589779782.png
    871.9 KB · Views: 53
  • image-2413808130.png
    image-2413808130.png
    282.9 KB · Views: 35

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I have the same hood with a Reptisun 10.0 bulb in it, seems to be working fine.

The basking light would be good for additional UVA, and perhaps setting up a temperature gradient in your enclosure. I don't know what your temps are running at, but you may be able to shut the CHE off in the day and run the basking light instead, switching back to the CHE at night? I run a 100-watt MVB on the warm end, this serves as my basking light in addition to the UVB.

A good temperature gradient to aim for is 92ºF (33ºC) on the warm end and 80ºF (27ºC) on the cool side. I pulled that directly from Mike Pingleton's book.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Ditto, although if you don't want to bother with a basking bulb, it is not a big deal to just use the CHE all the time and avoid the extra brightness.

Nice looking habitat. I might add something that had higher leaves or branches to block a little more of the light over a little more of the habitat- a little less brightness overall

stuntdouble

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, Ca
Yeah I do want to get more plants, and that is exactly my temp range. Once I get my heat rope tomorrow I know I'll be making some adjustments. I had some trouble with the fluorescent bulb, it didn't work. Took it back but didn't want to use the 10.0 reptisun and the 5.0 were out. I didn't think it would be ok to use since it is for desert reps. My fixture is only 13" above.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I think that you would be correct in searching out a 5.0 for your set up....and plants just make it fun for them as well as good for the uv shelter....

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
You would almost certainly find a 5.0 on-line, and probably at a much better price than at the local store. (I also agree that all things being equal, a 5.0 is the way to go.)

ijmccollum

5 Year Member
N. Utah
So what's the best way to go? 100w MVB or 5.0 UVB strip with bask lamp? Also, I keep hearing to stay away from the UVB coils -- but then I hear it was a coating issue that was causing eye distress...

M

Maggie Cummings

I am not expert but I use MVB's. My young tort was blinded by a coil bulb, so yes, keep away from them. I don't use the strips because they don't put off any basking heat.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I think Maggie sums it up pretty well here; both bulbs are likely adequate for UVB (though a MVB has much more) trading off heat output and differences in bulb characteristics - such as CRI (see Balboa's article on practical lighting under the general discussion forum). I have three different bulbs all contributing different aspects of heat and light (florescent tube, mercury vapor, and halogen). I use the halogen for its high CRI ratings to complement the other two, though it could serve nicely as a basking light, I want my tortoises to get UVB under the MVB while warming up.

I hope this wasn't too circular...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
A study done with Panther Chameleons had an interesting result- animals raised with a long, low-output UVB bulb were more successful in their reproduction- more nests, more eggs per nest, more viable offspring- than with other UVB options (http://www.megaray.co.uk/downloads/artificial-ultraviolet-exposure-chameleon.pdf)

I find myself wondering if our typical approaches are really logical from the animal's point of view. in nature, ALL light has UVB, and the heat in the light does not vary every few feet. We also do not typically worry about a balanced white light, and when we do, we often end up putting too many watts in the habitat.

I have not done it yet due to cost constraints, but I'm going to be putting my money where my mouth is soon and going to a low-output UVB long tube bulb (and a 'daylight white) soon so I can provide a more even, reasonably balanced light with UVB over every inch of the habtiat that light reaches into.

ijmccollum

5 Year Member
N. Utah
Well, I can def do a linear UVB, 5.0 or 2.0, since I already have some spares in-house. I have just been using a standard 60w in a reflective ceramic lamp for bask. I do have a 150w MVB but I am afraid it would cook the lil' one.

I use the same bask method on the Beardie and BTS but use the 10.0 UVB strip, same with the Chams but they get 5.0 UVB. What about a 2.0 – don’t want to cook the little eyes?

I would kind of like to do the all one MVB but to outfit everyone is a little too spendy for me.

Currently the little CherryBomb is housed in a 20G long. Substrate from bottom to top is Hydroton, heat-rope, lavarock, coir, spag/cypress/frog moss. Temp gradient has been holding at 72-98F and humidity 60-75%. Would like to add some live plants but am still researching that option. Attached is pics of habitat. Took these shots this morning – he was still buried.

Would love to see what others have done – guess I will have to go ck out that link.
side2.jpg
Side1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.