Lighting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

minvikfan11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vinton, Virginia
My tortoise is also less active and does not eat as much. The more I have read the more it seems as though it may be a lighting issue. I am using two bulbs. One bulb is a basking bulb from Wal Mart Basking Bulb from Wal-Mart The other is a bulb for uva and uvb which is the Exo Terra repti Glo 5.0 Compact Tropical Lamp. I have had it for about 5 months now. UVB and UVA light Are these two correct in using? Should I replace the Exo Terra? Or should I just invest in a 100W powersun that does all 3? Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The UVA UVB bulb is considered a coil bulb. There has been bad reviews on them causing eye problems. I would get rid of that and go with the tube type fluorescent UVB 5.0. Also, what are the night time temps?

minvikfan11

5 Year Member
Vinton, Virginia
wellington said:
The UVA UVB bulb is considered a coil bulb. There has been bad reviews on them causing eye problems. I would get rid of that and go with the tube type fluorescent UVB 5.0. Also, what are the night time temps?

Is this the one you were referring to 5.0 tube type Is it better to get 5.0 or 10.0. Night time temps are around 65 degrees.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I think with a Russian you should go with the Reptisun 10.0 tube light. Just a long tube, no coil.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/ind...US&green=E1851B34-3E4A-556F-B186-1FF2022DBEDC

You can also get them at Big Apple Pet supply http://www.bigappleherp.com/REPTILE-SUPPLIES/UVA-UVB-Fluorescents, LightYourReptiles.com or even on Amazon.

Of course, you will have to get a fixture for it too. I found mine on Amazon.
Note: tube lights have to be replaced every 6 months. (Big Apple is selling two packs right now). Yours may be about at the end of their effectiveness.

The basking light is fine; as long as the temps under it get to 95F.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Ditto on the tube light. I use the Exo Terra Repti Glo 10.0 tube light for my torts, and am very happy with it. I switch it out every September, cuz my torts spend a lot of the Summer outside. I buy it on eBay for much less than at the pet store.

lynnedit said:
I think with a Russian you should go with the Reptisun 10.0 tube light. Just a long tube, no coil.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/ind...US&green=E1851B34-3E4A-556F-B186-1FF2022DBEDC

You can also get them at Big Apple Pet supply http://www.bigappleherp.com/REPTILE-SUPPLIES/UVA-UVB-Fluorescents, LightYourReptiles.com or even on Amazon.

Of course, you will have to get a fixture for it too. I found mine on Amazon.
Note: tube lights have to be replaced every 6 months. (Big Apple is selling two packs right now). Yours may be about at the end of their effectiveness.

The basking light is fine; as long as the temps under it get to 95F.

minvikfan11

5 Year Member
Vinton, Virginia
I have two clap lamps from Fluker's that are rated 75W, one for the basking bulb and the other for the uva/uvb bulb. I would like to avoid buying other fixures if possible. The powersun is 100W so if I wanted to get that I would have to get fixture rated at least 100W. I also do not have a screen or fixture for the long tube type bulbs. My question is, for the uva/uvb bulb would it be recommended to use the Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 Compact Fluorescent Lamp that screws into a fixture I aready have instead of getting a long tube type and fixture? Or showed I invest in the Powersun and bigger fixture?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Either way, you will need a new fixture.

You would need the long fluorescent tube fixture for any tube light like the Reptisun 10.0. You can find these at Home Supply stores (under the cabinet fixtures for tube lights), or on Amazon.
The Powersun MVB would need a fixture rated at least 100w but to avoid issues, more like 150w or greater. You can find relatively inexpensive fixture: dome, with ceramic base (must be ceramic, not plastic) at Home supply stores (sold as 'shop lights', etc.) or at feed stores (for chickens and pigs. These are often rated up to 250W. I think I got one for $12.

Status
Not open for further replies.