Lighting question

d12bn

Bought a russian tortoise from Petsmart and after some research have little confidence in what they recommended for everything including lighting. I'm using a Neodymium 100 watt basking bulb that says it provides UVA light and radiant heat and a 13 w Repti Glo terrarium UVB lamp.

What do you think?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The basking bulb is ok, however, I think your UVB bulb is the wrong kind. If it is in the shape of a spiral, then it can be harmful to your tortoise's eyes. I would disconnect that bulb immediately and get rid of it.

Most of us use the tube-type fluorescent bulbs (for UVB) or the Mercury Vapor Bulb (which would then also take the place of your basking bulb and negate the need for two fixtures).

You may need night time heat if your house gets much cooler than about 75F degrees during the night.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If either one is a coil type bulb, CFL they cause eye problems and I would stop using them ASAP. A Florescent tube light with UVB is fine for a Russian and depending on where you live and how cold your house is you could use a regular light bulb, a 60 watt or more for basking heat. Be sure to have a deep substrate of dirt or coconut coir, they like too dig in and burrow. Also, a water dish available 24/7. Provide and hide too.

d12bn

Here are two if the bulbs I'm using plus a red heat light at night not shown in pic. I think my basking bulb is fine. What type of screw in UV bulb can I get at Petco or Petsmart to replace the twisted UV bulb. I want to get this today so thanks for your help.
Everytime I ask Petsmart I get different advice while I waste money

Attachments

• 20140107_185212.jpg
    20140107_185212.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 28

h3ln1k

Semarang City, Indonesia
Yvonne G said:
The basking bulb is ok, however, I think your UVB bulb is the wrong kind. If it is in the shape of a spiral, then it can be harmful to your tortoise's eyes. I would disconnect that bulb immediately and get rid of it.

Most of us use the tube-type fluorescent bulbs (for UVB) or the Mercury Vapor Bulb (which would then also take the place of your basking bulb and negate the need for two fixtures).

You may need night time heat if your house gets much cooler than about 75F degrees during the night.

Hi Yvonne, would you please explain to me why spiral UVB bulb can be harmful to tortoise? cause I've just bought one Reptile UVB200 in spiral bulb :(
Is Solar Glo or Sunray right choice for tortoise? how long uvb lamp light? sorry for many questions :D

d12bn

I've upgraded lighting for the new enclosure

Attachments

• 1390419962201.jpg
    1390419962201.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 33

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
h3ln1k said:
Hi Yvonne, would you please explain to me why spiral UVB bulb can be harmful to tortoise? cause I've just bought one Reptile UVB200 in spiral bulb :(
Is Solar Glo or Sunray right choice for tortoise? how long uvb lamp light? sorry for many questions :D

The spiral bulb, in fact all of the compact fluorescent bulbs, concentrate the harmful UV rays out the end of the bulb. Baby tortoises are particularly susceptible to the harm. It is very painful to them, and is similar to snow blindness. Once you stop using the bulb, the eyes start to heal. If you mount the bulb horizontally, it doesn't present as much of a risk, but I'd rather err on the side of caution and not use them at all. This was supposedly fixed by the manufacturers, however, the old bulbs were never recalled, so you have no way of knowing if the bulb you're buying is an old one or a newer, fixed one.

h3ln1k

Semarang City, Indonesia
Yvonne G said:
h3ln1k said:

The spiral bulb, in fact all of the compact fluorescent bulbs, concentrate the harmful UV rays out the end of the bulb. Baby tortoises are particularly susceptible to the harm. It is very painful to them, and is similar to snow blindness. Once you stop using the bulb, the eyes start to heal. If you mount the bulb horizontally, it doesn't present as much of a risk, but I'd rather err on the side of caution and not use them at all. This was supposedly fixed by the manufacturers, however, the old bulbs were never recalled, so you have no way of knowing if the bulb you're buying is an old one or a newer, fixed one.

thanks for your explanation