Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Well my lights are shot time to buy new ones. I was searching around and seen that the 100 watt powersun is on sale at Illreptile for $ 39.95 is this as good as the T-Rex which runs $54.95? Since its getting nice outside and my torts go in there outside pen as much as Oregon weather permitts, plus I feed Mazuri can I wait till this fall to buy them? Thanks for you thoughts.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never done a direct comparison, but as far as I Know they are pretty comparable. I don't use MVBs except for a few months during winter, but that's a judgement call for you up there. Are they going to get lots of sun over the summer?

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
They get out most days during the summer. Thanks Tom

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I believe the higher output T-Rex is still unavailable, but maybe you are seeing some that were before the production stop, or more likely, its the one without "active" in the title that is a lower output. Mega Ray is good, but seems to be having problems lately. Those are usually my favorites, but if not considering those, I'd go with Powersun. Stay away from the Exo Terra Solar Glo and Fluker's Sun Spot. Unfortunately there isn't any current MVB output comparison that I know of. You can just use a household flood light when they get outside regularly, to extend the longevity of your bulb. They are supposed to have usable UVB output for 12 months of being on 12 hours a day, but I like to replace them a tad earlier. Only the time they are on counts. I wouldn't let my tort go more than a couple weeks without UVB (assuming they have it regularly before and after this period), way less for a hatchling, but opinions vary. Make sure you have a lamp stand (vertically adjustable), ceramic socket hood fixture (I like the deep dome ones), a temp gun, and write on your calendar or similar when it needs to be replaced (unless you have and use a uvb meter).

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
1. If they can get about an hour a week of good sunlight (unfiltered through glass, fine screen, or plastic and strong enough to give you a tan), then you probably don't need a UV bulb.

2. Most MVB-UV bulbs are probably about the same, but I have found Powersun to be less long-lasting than other name brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.