Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

theplastron

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Derry NH
Hello,

I am new to this forum and have been cruising around it for a while now, but I have had this question for a long time about lighting. Now is a fish aquarium light or one of those GE grower/ aquarium lights provide enough uva/uvb for tortoises and are they any good for the health of the tortoise? I am just wondering cause those "reptile specific" bulbs seem to have the same uv chart on them as these other lights. If anyone could clarify for me if these are alright to use on my tortoises or recommend a good light that would be great! thanks guys!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi theplastron:

That light would be ok if your tortoise get some outside time.

Most of us use the MVB (mercury vapor bulb) because it provides heat along with the UVB needed to make the calcium work.

It would be way better if you could throw together something so the tortoises could be outside in the sun.

Can we see pictures of your tortoises?

theplastron

5 Year Member
Derry NH
I do indeed put my tortoises out as much as i can to get some sun! I love watching them tromp about the yard! I will post pictures as soon as i figure out how! haha

there we go think i got it!

Attachments

• IMG_6756.JPG
    IMG_6756.JPG
    404.5 KB · Views: 21
  • SANY1208.JPG
    SANY1208.JPG
    471.9 KB · Views: 10

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
You do not need to worry about UVA light at all, and you don't need to worry about UVB if they get good sunlight exposure- defined as about an hour a week over several days in unfiltered light strong enough to give you a tan.

In general, aquarium lights are not engineered to emit useful UVB light- especially the critical 280nm band which is really close to the dangerous UVC range. They usually focus on some near-UVA and colors designed to work with the water. In fact, they are generally a poor choice for ANY non-aquatic use- just like plant lights are poor choices for most animal lighting.

If you provide a brand name and model, I can try to get more specific answers for you.

theplastron

5 Year Member
Derry NH
I was at walmart grabbing a light strip to put my UV light into and I noticed that they had in a green package a plant grower/aquarium light and I have been curious if that would be acceptable bulb to use. It was manufactured by GE. That is about all i know on it, but I got a repti light 5.0 I think it was for them.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I use regular fluorescent lamps for ambient light. I think they're 6000k or somehere thereabouts. I'm not a big fan of the one bulb solution.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Plants and fish really do not benefit from UV. so those bulbs rarely emit any. When they DO, it is almost all UVA, which cannot be used to metabolize calcium.

Status
Not open for further replies.