Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashleydejuliannie

5 Year Member
Is this a good lighting to use on a Hermann tortoise? ImageUploadedByTortForum1373771934.753816.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Tube UV lighting (like your picture) is usually recommended.

But where do you live? If you can build a safe outdoor enclosure that your tort can be in a few hours a week then save yourself the $$ and let the sun do it's job :)

Regardless of UV lighting, your tort will still need a basking light inside.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

ashleydejuliannie

5 Year Member
In Minnesota. I won't be able to make a outdoor pen but I will try my best to take my turtle outside for a couple hours each week. I will supervise it. Also thank you so much for your help and advice.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Even if you take a few bricks and line them up into a box. Or nail some wood together and make a square frame. Plop it down on the ground and instant, moveable enclosure for some sunlight. You'd still have to watch it but having the edges would prevent it from escaping your sight should you sneeze or look up for a moment.

ashleydejuliannie

5 Year Member
Great idea! Thank you :) and should I lay it on a blanket? Because we have total lawn care come and I'm pretty sure they spray our grass. I read it's bad for them to eat sprayed grass.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Don't do it on the grass if it's sprayed.

How about you buy a cement mixing tub instead. I paid $13 for a 2'x3' one at Home Depot.
Or a kiddie pool.

Then you can put dirt in it and grow some grass and plants. It will allow for outside time and you can pull up a chair to watch him :)

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Status
Not open for further replies.