Limited Space - Indoor Enclosure

nyxielynn

Location (City and/or State)
Rochester, NY
Hey guys, I am looking for some suggestions for an indoor enclosure to house two Hermann's hatchlings. We are in a small apartment right now, though looking to move in the near future, so space is a little limited. However I want to make sure the tortoises have adequate space in their enclosure. If you have any pictures, suggestion etc I am open to them!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
what size are the juveniles if they are only like three or so inches a 50 gallon Rubbermaid tub should be fine one for each unless it is three or more

nyxielynn

Rochester, NY
what size are the juveniles if they are only like three or so inches a 50 gallon Rubbermaid tub should be fine one for each unless it is three or more
I'm not entirely sure what size they will be. I am still awaiting their arrival and have a few weeks yet. These will be my first, so sorry if I seem a little clueless... I would much rather ask questions and do it right the first time though! :) when they arrive to me they will be roughly three weeks old.

nyxielynn

Rochester, NY
Hello and welcome.

You could house hatchlings in 60 or 100 gallon tanks pretty easily. I wouldn't go smaller than a 40 gallon though. Each one will need its own enclosure as they should not be housed in pairs.

Here is a care sheet:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

And this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
I have the care sheet printed and have been reading sections of it at a time through out the day. Also just finished reading the beginners mistakes thread, very helpful, thank you!

I have a few 40 gallon tanks but was advised against using them because they are all glass. Should I look into a vivarium instead?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been using glass tanks for literally 35 years. They are actually better for the very reasons that "they" say they are bad. "The taller sides restrict airflow." Good! This means you can use a lower wattage heat bulb and that you won't lose the humidity you are trying to create and hold captive as fast. Them seeing through has never been an issue for me either. I WANT to see them. That's why I got them.

Vivarium will work too. Possibly even better since they are more closed in. Its very hard to maintain humidity with an open top.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Is cancelling one of them an option at this time?
The difficulty of keeping two over just one will be a lot.
Tortoises don't get lonely like people.
In the wild, they fight for territory and food.
Since you have limited space, you are not entering into an ideal situation.
But, it can be done. Especially withe the help you'll find here.

nyxielynn

Rochester, NY
Is cancelling one of them an option at this time?
The difficulty of keeping two over just one will be a lot.
Tortoises don't get lonely like people.
In the wild, they fight for territory and food.
Since you have limited space, you are not entering into an ideal situation.
But, it can be done. Especially withe the help you'll find here.
I do not have to keep them together, I have enough space for at least 2 more 40-55 gallon tanks (already have a painted turtle in one). I just don't have a huge amount of room to build an enclosure that won't need upgraded is all. They will be in separate rooms anyways once I move as one is for my son and one is for my daughter. I will be caring for them until they are old enough to, though. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do not have to keep them together, I have enough space for at least 2 more 40-55 gallon tanks (already have a painted turtle in one). I just don't have a huge amount of room to build an enclosure that won't need upgraded is all. They will be in separate rooms anyways once I move as one is for my son and one is for my daughter. I will be caring for them until they are old enough to, though. :)

I think that is pretty cool!

nyxielynn

Rochester, NY
I've been using glass tanks for literally 35 years. They are actually better for the very reasons that "they" say they are bad. "The taller sides restrict airflow." Good! This means you can use a lower wattage heat bulb and that you won't lose the humidity you are trying to create and hold captive as fast. Them seeing through has never been an issue for me either. I WANT to see them. That's why I got them.

Vivarium will work too. Possibly even better since they are more closed in. Its very hard to maintain humidity with an open top.

This is all so confusing, lol :( so the glass is better to use? I was going off of what Chris told me directly, as well as his care sheet which states "Never use glass aquariums for tortoises. They create a constant “greenhouse” effect inside causing them to rapidly dehydrate. They also drive the tortoises crazy because they cannot comprehend what glass is and why they can see through it but not move forward. This sends stress levels through the roof. Use Rubbermaid containers instead or “tortoise tables” built from ply wood. "

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is all so confusing, lol :( so the glass is better to use? I was going off of what Chris told me directly, as well as his care sheet which states "Never use glass aquariums for tortoises. They create a constant “greenhouse” effect inside causing them to rapidly dehydrate. They also drive the tortoises crazy because they cannot comprehend what glass is and why they can see through it but not move forward. This sends stress levels through the roof. Use Rubbermaid containers instead or “tortoise tables” built from ply wood. "

Everyone has their own opinions and experiences to draw from. Its up to the new person to research all the differing points of view and decide what will work for them. No two tortoise keepers will agree on everything, and often the differences are based on environment and climate.

The main point is for you to make sure you can maintain the correct conditions in whatever enclosure you choose. We can help offer suggestions for little tweaks here and there to get your parameters where they need to be. Every enclosure is different and there is some degree of customization necessary.

I have read that "no glass tanks..." thing on the internet and books for years. Then I look over at all the hundreds of baby tortoises that I've raised in those glass tanks that are alive and thriving and I can't help but wonder why people say what they say. What makes them type that same stuff that I read over and over. Did I do something different? Was I just lucky hundreds of times over? Are they just parroting what they read and they really don't have personal experience with glass tanks, either good or bad? I don't know the answers. I just know that glass tanks have always worked well for me and many others here too.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Very good news.

nyxielynn

Rochester, NY
Everyone has their own opinions and experiences to draw from. Its up to the new person to research all the differing points of view and decide what will work for them. No two tortoise keepers will agree on everything, and often the differences are based on environment and climate.

The main point is for you to make sure you can maintain the correct conditions in whatever enclosure you choose. We can help offer suggestions for little tweaks here and there to get your parameters where they need to be. Every enclosure is different and there is some degree of customization necessary.

I have read that "no glass tanks..." thing on the internet and books for years. Then I look over at all the hundreds of baby tortoises that I've raised in those glass tanks that are alive and thriving and I can't help but wonder why people say what they say. What makes them type that same stuff that I read over and over. Did I do something different? Was I just lucky hundreds of times over? Are they just parroting what they read and they really don't have personal experience with glass tanks, either good or bad? I don't know the answers. I just know that glass tanks have always worked well for me and many others here too.

That makes sense. See, this is why I asked :) I just want to make sure that which ever way I go, I will know what needs to be done. Thank you for the input! I'll definitely take it all into consideration. Thankfully I still have some time before they even arrive to me so I'm trying to use this time to research and prepare, that way when they get here I am ready to go and know what I'm doing.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I've also had great success with glass tanks ;) I liked to decorate them with live plants so it was "beautiful thing" to look at while still being functional. I also enjoyed seeing the tortoises at a glance.
I've used rubbermaid totes, too. They are still functional but not at all as aesthetically pleasing.