Links to DIY sheds? Having Difficulty Navigating Site

Rmgoulet1941

Location (City and/or State)
Modesto
Hi there,

I'm looking to create a heated box for my sulcata using a large rubbermaid hinged lid shed. I am trying to find a few links with instructions or photos but am having a hard time. Is there anyone out there who can share a link or two? Thanks!

Rebecca

Rmgoulet1941

Modesto
Thanks for the reply! I am specifically looking for DIY instructions using a small storage shed since that is what I have available to me. I have seen many outdoor set ups using such a thing but not the full instructions. Currently saving up money to be able to do a deluxe night box for next winter! For now, my tort is happy in an insulated dog crate with CHE and UVB. He is growing though, hence the need to upgrade. Again, thanks a bunch!

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I used a rubber maid shed a long time ago. I did work I just lined the inside with foam insulation and the bottom foot or so with ply wood and cut a door in the side. It worked ok but did not last too many years. Should give you some time to get another built.

Rmgoulet1941

Modesto
I used a rubber maid shed a long time ago. I did work I just lined the inside with foam insulation and the bottom foot or so with ply wood and cut a door in the side. It worked ok but did not last too many years. Should give you some time to get another built.

Thank you! I will post photos when finished and perhaps even a step by step if it goes well. Season's greetings.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those sheds don't work. I tried for a couple of years. They are too drafty, too tall, and you can't keep it warm enough inside or on the floor. For the amount of time money and effort you spend trying to customize it and make it work, you can build a really nice 4x4' night box that will work perfectly and keep your tortoise properly warm.

The pics are gone from my 4x4 thread, but just build half of one of these:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/double-door-night-box.129054/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/h...g-of-toms-night-box-with-exploded-view.97697/

Rmgoulet1941

Modesto
Thanks Tom. That is a wonderful design. Looks like I will just wait until I can make a nice one like that! The converted dog house I am using right now has been working well but within the next year I bet the tort won't fit through the opening. Is your entry 24" or 26" wide?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
It would be pretty but a quick ugly- a free refridgerator on craiglist. Just strip it out and laine it with pliywood and cut a hole. That could get you going for a bit, but the night house is a must.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom. That is a wonderful design. Looks like I will just wait until I can make a nice one like that! The converted dog house I am using right now has been working well but within the next year I bet the tort won't fit through the opening. Is your entry 24" or 26" wide?
If I intend the box to be for an adult sulcata, I make the door 26" wide and about 18" tall. Having to enlarge the door later on would be a real pain in the butt.

TurtleBug

10 Year Member!