Liquid rubber water dish?

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Hey, I was wondering if I can use Zavlar liquid rubber to make a water dish. I would let it dry for a month to ensure a full cure. The Liquid rubber is used by many fish keepers in making fish tanks they seal the inside with the liquid rubber to help keep the plywood dry. If I used plexy formed it to a pond shape drilled a hole for drainage and pipes then painted it with liquid rubber do you think this would be ok for a tortoise?

J_W

Colorado
I am doing something very similar, and it should work fine. Make sure you get enough coats on to not only protect whatever it is covering, but to also keep scraps and rubs from going all the way through. Make sure that it is indeed non-toxic once cured. I am using Blue Max from Ames research. I have used it previously on a large aquarium and it works great.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it doesn't hurt fish, it wouldn't hurt a tort. I would wonder about the claws too though. If it is scratched, clawed, is there something that could leak out of it and be dangerous? If not, try it.

J_W

Colorado
Re: RE: Liquid rubber water dish?

wellington said:
If it doesn't hurt fish, it wouldn't hurt a tort. I would wonder about the claws too though. If it is scratched, clawed, is there something that could leak out of it and be dangerous? If not, try it.

I can't talk about zavlar as I have never used it, but Blue Max is very durable and non-toxic, cured or uncured. As long as it has dried completely, two or threes day after application, then nothing will leak out, but even if it was wet it wouldn't be toxic. This stuff is used for water tanks and pond coating with fish living in them, so it is completely safe for humans, fish, and definitely torts.

J_W

Colorado
Re: RE: Liquid rubber water dish?

tyguy35 said:
Ok thanks I'll have to look up blue max

I'm not trying to convince you that it's better, it's just the one I have worked with and really like it. I found mine at Ace hardware, but you can get it from other places as well.