List of foods for a sulcata?

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
I got my two baby sulcata tortoises Bumblebee and Tiger and I want to switch up what they've been eating. They ate romane lettuce, endive, Timothy grass, and minced cactus pads this week sprinkled with just a little calcium powder.

I have a couple lists of veggies, grasses, and treats that I am questioning some of. If anything needs to be changed or shouldn't be fed let me know! Also I am not going to feed the same thing every week I am going to go with 3 veggies one week then pick another 3 for the next week and so forth. I want them to have a wide variety of foods to optimize nutrition intake.

Vegetables:
Bok choy
Endive
Romane lettuce (I want to only feed this occasionally since it is a filler)
Collard greens
Mustard greens
Cactus pads
Turnip greens
Arugula
Escarole
Chicory
Grated sweet potato
Water cress

Grasses and flowers:
Buffalo grass
Bermuda grass
Orchard grass
Arizona fescue
Dandelions
Hibiscus
Geranium
Grape leaves

Treats (I will only feed in moderation, maybe a piece or two every other month or when it is available)
Squash
Pumpkin
Cantaloupe
Cucumber
Kale
Strawberries
Rose petals
Bell pepper
Tomatoe
Banana
Shredded carrot
Apple
Blueberries

Does this sound like a good mix to you guys?ImageUploadedByTortForum1383402741.983868.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Looks like a good varied diet. I presume the latter of the list is fed sparingly. One thing in that list is the kale though. Kale is very nutritious. It has more calcium, phosphorus, and fiber than the greens. So I would add the kale to the more often list you feed him. The grasses are great and should be a large portion once they get larger. Also you can feed the fruit(tunas) of the cactus too. They are looked as a fruit. But dont be tricked by it being a "fruit" like a strawberry or melon. They are full of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. They are more nutritious than the pad actually. But since we are transitioning into fall-winter. The blooms will be less likely seem in stores, or along side the road in cactus patches. Also the water cress is mainly just water. A suppose will act as a good hydration intake source.

Other than that looks good to me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your list looks good. Here is my take on the matter:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-76744.html

I would add some Mazuri to the diet once or twice a week too, to make sure their are no deficiencies you are missing.

Personally, I would skip the fruit entirely, and maybe add in some occasional plant protein like clover, alfalfa, beans or peas.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, along with the good diet, Toms threads below in his and my post is the threads for proper housing and care.