List of greens our Russian tortoises will and won't eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
slowpoke said:
mine love the mix of greens i give them (kale,mustard,collards, and what ever that green one is with the red vains in it ) ... they also like asperagus fern , they munch on it often , i have that in the indoor (grows supper fast) and planning on putting it in the outdoor home when it warms up ...

Is Asparagus Fern non-toxic, then? I've been wondering at that--I have an Asparagus Fern that I keep on top of my beardie enclosure. I've been wanting to put it inside someone's tank in hopes that it will grow better, but I've been worried about toxicity...

Lynne--Is there a Winco down there you can try? It seems like the Wincos I've been to have about the same produce selection anywhere you go, so it might be worth a look... They stock turnip greens, cactus pad, and occasionally cactus pear, in addition to all the other goodies (and okra--which my beardie goes wild for!), at least up here in Tacoma and at the last one I shopped at, in Utah... Otherwise maybe one of your local stores can special order them for you?

JoeImhof

5 Year Member
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Kerryann said:
You can add creeping charlie to the list. She ate some today. Henry wasn't a fan. He is a much picky eater than Betty. He is also more timid. I don't think he has really ever been outside very much before though.

Yeah, creeping Charlie is on my list of "plants they don't usually want." They eat it sometimes, but not much and not often.

Also, my male is pickier than my female, too. I think it might be a difference between the sexes. Males have been shown to spend more time running around than females, and I think they might not eat as much as females do, either.

JoeImhof said:
Wow, thats suprising!
Do you consider Squash blossoms as "flowers". Mine would eat squash flowers 24/7 365.
Also love Petunia, Pansy, and Nasturtium flowers.

Yep, squash blossoms are flowers, all right. I haven't offered them to mine, though. I find it hard to justify buying my guys flowers because, A) they're more expensive, so B) if they don't eat them anyway, it's a real waste. Maybe I will see if they like squash blossoms, though. How much are they? Where do you get them?

I grow them in my summer garden. Zucchini and summer squash are very easy to grow. Pumpkins (which are also squash) need much more room. But by July I have 30 or more blossoms per day to feed my torts (and squash blossoms are very large)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Jacqui said:
Morning Glory? Interesting, I have always read that it was one of the "bad" plants.

Yes, it is supposed to be toxic to mammals, but then tortoises naturally eat buttercup and poppies, which mammals can't handle, either. I certainly don't feed morning glory to them myself, but when they're outside, they just seem to go for it on their own, and preferentially over creeping Charlie or clover.

Bump - I recently found out that the "morning glories" that my steppe tortoises like to eat are the invasive plant known as field bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis). This species is a member of the morning glory family (Convolvulaceae), but unlike the common morning glory, bindweed is palatable to many herbivores. Geese, pigs, and sheep will eat it, and I have observed the bison at my study site feeding on it as well. If steppe tortoises can detoxify poppies and buttercups, then they must think bindweed is a piece of cake. :cool:

EDIT: The Tortoise Table lists field bindweed as a plant that one may "Feed in Moderation."

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Bump - I recently found out that the "morning glories" that my steppe tortoises like to eat are the invasive plant known as field bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis). This species is a member of the morning glory family (Convolvulaceae), but unlike the common morning glory, bindweed is palatable to many herbivores. Geese, pigs, and sheep will eat it, and I have observed the bison at my study site feeding on it as well. If steppe tortoises can detoxify poppies and buttercups, then they must think bindweed is a piece of cake. :cool:

EDIT: The Tortoise Table lists field bindweed as a plant that one may "Feed in Moderation."

Interesting update!

Floof said:
Lynne--Is there a Winco down there you can try? It seems like the Wincos I've been to have about the same produce selection anywhere you go, so it might be worth a look... They stock turnip greens, cactus pad, and occasionally cactus pear, in addition to all the other goodies (and okra--which my beardie goes wild for!), at least up here in Tacoma and at the last one I shopped at, in Utah... Otherwise maybe one of your local stores can special order them for you?

Just saw this! LOL. I will take a look.

espence

5 Year Member
Mine doesn't seem to like parsley. So far, that's the only thing she has turned down. Oh, timothy hay doesn't seem to be a favorite either. Has anyone tried timothy hay?

Status
Not open for further replies.