List of tort safe plants?

NessiesNoob

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I've done internet searches, but usually get a list of edibles for tortoises. I scrolled through the stickies and was surprised there isn't a list there. I then did a quick search in this forum and couldn't find a good list there either.

So is there a decent, concise list of plants that can be put inside an eclosure that tortoises won't be inclined to eat but are safe if they do get nibbled on?

I am actually looking to plant up an indoor enclosure for a 1 yr old Redfoot. Eventually it will be moved to an outdoor enclosure, but right now it would be bird food. I want it to look somewhat like a rainforest floor which means a few green plants. I plan on also adding rooted cuttings of hibiscus that I can swap out so it has nibbling plants, but also want some that will just help to modulate the humidity and give places to hide. Any suggestions or links to a list of safe, but not necessarily edible plants?

Thanks.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Pothos ivy is the best as far as growing great in an enclosure. Next would be spider plant followed by Boston fern. Prayer plant can work but burns easily with UVB and doesn’t “ thrive” but I’d great for a while and a few can be rotated. Those ate the best choices

Pothos ivy can absolutely take over and enclosure if the tortoise is well fed. If food is a bit scarce they can then nibble it back s bit

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
This is @Tom’s list of edible plants. Remember that any plant bought that isn’t for culinary use has probably been grown using pesticides and/or fertilisers that will be harmful to your tort. These plants need to have all the growing compost washed off their roots and then grown on for at least a year to get rid of the systemic chemicals. Grow them yourslef from seed where possible.

Look these up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database if you're not sure what they look like.
http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

NessiesNoob

Florida
Yeah Joesmum, that's one of the lists of edibles I've seen. I have many of those growing and add them to the feed mix for my sulcatas. I am looking for the ones that torts, in this case a redfoot, aren't likely to touch if they have a ready source of food. I can't imagine that redfoots in South America go chomping on every plant they can. Sadly canopy trees won't fit in an enclosure, but there has to be some plants that torts just tend to ignore.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yeah Joesmum, that's one of the lists of edibles I've seen. I have many of those growing and add them to the feed mix for my sulcatas. I am looking for the ones that torts, in this case a redfoot, aren't likely to touch if they have a ready source of food. I can't imagine that redfoots in South America go chomping on every plant they can. Sadly canopy trees won't fit in an enclosure, but there has to be some plants that torts just tend to ignore.

Everything there is fine for a redfoot. Redfoots can also tolerate some fruit in their diet. They should also be fed protein occasionally such as hard boiled egg mashed complete with its shell.

It’s trial and error really if you want plants to grow in an enclosure. My tortoise Joe is a garden tortoise and I always say I only have three varieties of plant: edible, trampled and too big to be eaten to the ground or trampled. You shouldn’t use anything that isn’t safe to eat just in case your tort does decide to have a chew.

The best way to grow plants in an enclosure is to grow them in pots and then sink the pot into the substrate so about an inch of rim shows above the surface.

The plants grow better this way, it’s easy to remove them for watering, and the pot rim helps to stop the plant being stomped. When the plant needs replacement you just pull the pot out and put another in the same hole.

Plants never grow well in a tortoise enclosure as the heat, humidity and lighting isn’t that suitable. You are not trying to recreate the wild, that’s impossible, just add shelter and edible enrichment for your tortoise