List your lighting equipment/ brands that YOU trust

Hey guys, I'm upgrading my red foots lighting system, because heat bulbs have been absolute **** over the past year. So i'm probably getting a CHE and UVB bulb or tube. The problem is that I don't know what brands to even rely on anymore, Zoo med seems like crap, national geographic wasn't great, I don't know about Zilla, but money doesn't matter I just NEED RELIABILITY. HELP! Make suggestions, anything. What do you use, how do you have it set up, and how do you keep humidity in? Give me tips <3

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
I started with a zilla linear fluorescent and was very disappointed. The zoo med Reptisun linear fluorescents are a little better in my opinion, but I'm still regretting buying a T8 fixture, as even the 10.0 bulbs put out mimimal UVb according to my meter. I have my 36" T8 fixture with a Reptisun 10.0 bulb about 10" from the substrate within my closed chamber but the UVb at tortoise height is minimal. I am planning on adding a 48" T5 fixture. I really do recommend investing in a UVb meter, because it seems linear bulbs are very hit or miss. I wish I had a reliable bulb to recommend to you.

Closed chambers keep humidity and heat in wonderfully. Have all of your lights and heat source within, of course. I don't use a CHE, but instead an RBI radiant heat panel. Make sure you have whatever heat source you choose hooked up to a thermostat.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I use an Arcadia Mini d3 mvb. (80w but will prob upgrade to 100w over winter) Delicate - but think they all are.
I like the fact its just one bulb for heat light and uv.
At night I use a Komodo CHE and thermostat.

JoshSloane

I started with a zilla linear fluorescent and was very disappointed. The zoo med Reptisun linear fluorescents are a little better in my opinion, but I'm still regretting buying a T8 fixture, as even the 10.0 bulbs put out mimimal UVb according to my meter. I have my 36" T8 fixture with a Reptisun 10.0 bulb about 10" from the substrate within my closed chamber but the UVb at tortoise height is minimal. I am planning on adding a 48" T5 fixture. I really do recommend investing in a UVb meter, because it seems linear bulbs are very hit or miss. I wish I had a reliable bulb to recommend to you.

Closed chambers keep humidity and heat in wonderfully. Have all of your lights and heat source within, of course. I don't use a CHE, but instead an RBI radiant heat panel. Make sure you have whatever heat source you choose hooked up to a thermostat.

Hey there. I am looking to put a Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO in my closed chamber for my sulcata baby. Do you believe that this is a good setup when using a tube fluorescent?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Hey there. I am looking to put a Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO in my closed chamber for my sulcata baby. Do you believe that this is a good setup when using a tube fluorescent?

I'm not a sulcata keeper so I can't say for sure. It seems the 10.0 T5s are the best UVB output you can get without making a lot of heat, so I can't see another option in a closed chamber. People seem to be able to get away with T8s, but I wonder if they all have shorter winters than I do. Enclosure/light mounting height is important too. If you need the light more than a foot away, the T5s are your best bet.