Little Bit is sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Little Bit the Antakyan/Jordanian Cross I got from Danny in Sept of 08. She is not doing so good. In the past 3 days she went from looking fine running around her enclosure and eating fine. Here is a pic of her in Jan.
DSCF8239a.jpg

To a sick, (puffy) swollen little tort just clinging to life. This morning when I got up at 4AM to check on her she was lathargic, had her left eye swollen shut, and when fed refused to eat.
I got her an appointment at 2 PM today and the Vet said because she is so small it could be a number of things including, kidney, heart, bacterial and even low protien. I assured him I was feeding both her and her clutch mate (who seems fine) the same things I feed all my Greeks. He said If I felt her protien intake was fine then we would focus on the other three. He gave her a shot of a diuretic, B12 to give her added energy and batril. He took a sample of Biggies Poo and will have the results tomorrow at 10 AM.
This is my what my Little Bit looked like when I brought her home today :(
P6110031a.jpg

I will update tomorrow when I get the results of her housemates fecal test.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Poor baby! I hope the vet can get to the bottom of Little Bit's problem and get her turned around quickly. Crossing my fingers and toes for a good outcome.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Oh dear - poor little thing! Keep us posted!

M

Maggie Cummings

Holy s--- Robyn...that is awful. I am so sorry...Did he take any blood to see about kidney function? That puffiness oft times is kidney failure. Did he have any comments or prognosis? We all know how awful this is for you and I'm sure you have gone over everything in your head a hundred times over. One last thought...have you fed her any collected outside weeds that could have been sprayed? Please keep us posted...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OMG!! I'm so sorry, Robyn. This just shows how fast things can go bad. I've got my fingers crossed for Lil'Bit.

Yvonne

sendie

10 Year Member!
Lake Jackson, TX
That poor baby :( my heart just dropped when I saw her second picture. I'll also keep my fingers crossed for her and you

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Poor guy, I'm hoping for the best! I know when my little guy was sick, the vet (who I respect) said he was so small it would be tough to get enough blood for tests. He was 25g at the time.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Poor Little Bit! Doesn't look like shes feeling well at all. Fingers crossed you figure out what is going on. This is a prime example of torts taking a very quick downturn, and even with the best care they sometimes can still not do well. Best wishes and keep up hope.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I'm so sorry Robyn. That picture just broke my heart. They are just so helpless. Prayers...hugs...I hope she will be OK.

TanknTurbo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Austin, TX
Oh that pic brought tears to my eyes :( We're all rooting for you guys, I look forward to the update.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Robyn, I'm so sorry that your little tortoise is feeling so bad. I hope that the shot that Little Bit got today helps. The boys and I will say prayers for Little Bit and then it's in God's hands.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I wish you only the best Robyn. I hope she recovers. The change is astounding...it is very shocking. Poor baby. I'm so sorry that you are going through this....keep us updates. you're in my thoughts

desertsss

5 Year Member
So sorry to see that Robyn. Poor thing. You and Little Bit are in my prayers.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
O no, Robyn, I am so sorry to hear Little Bit is not feeling well :(. My thought are with you both.
Keep us updated please.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
So sorry you are having to go through this. **hugs**

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Oh Robyn i am so sorry, i really hope she gets well, i would hate that to happen to my hatchling, Surprised to hear the vet used Baytril, Keep us updated. goodluck we are al rooting for your baby

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
First update: She is still struggleing this morning but the swelling is down a bit. Still waiting for the results of the fecal test. But I am glad she was still with me when I got up this morning.
Vet said she is far to small to get enough blood if he could have gotten any at all. He chose the shotgun approach for now as he is not sure what the problem is that is why the Baytril. Said it was the one that would catch most bacteria. Harsh we realize but this was an extream case he felt so he is using extream measures. So I'll updat when fecal comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.