Little Bluestem grass (Schizachyrium scoparium) as a staple food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

natureguy

5 Year Member
Schizachyrium scoparium (formerly Andropogon)- Little-Bluestem grass , is a native sod-forming grass from a large part of midwestern prairie land transitioning between the Tall-grass prairie and the Short-grass prairie. It is found in near desert conditions and moderately dry prairies. Transitioning Short-grass prairie into more desert environments are Blue Gramma and Buffalo grasses.

About 10 or so years ago I found an article which analyzed the nutrient value of grasses for Desert Tortoises. (I don't have that article immediately in hand but will try to locate.) The most highly nutritious was the Little-Bluestem. Probably the least was annual grasses like oatgrass, ryegrass etc. It could be considered a staple food at least for the Desert Tortoise and possibly other genus of Tortoises. It is also a grass that will adapt readily to almost any outdoor enclosure with adequate sunlight.

There are many forms of this grass adapted to a wide range of conditions available both from seed and clones. Many have been bred for palatability by grazing livestock.

This would be a great grass both ornamental and for a sustainable approach to outdoor tortoise keeping. It can of course be grown out of doors in climates as cold or colder than climate Zone 3, doing fine in Zones 10-11 as well. It would be deciduous in the former and semi-evergreen to evergreen in the latter. Cold is the factor here.

Since Little-Bluestem fills in slowly it needs some protection until creates a substantial carpet. Using square nursery flats (the ones with smaller holes used for ground cover material) placed upside down supported by rocks and/or bamboo stakes cut to size around the perimeter so that tortoises do not push the flat away. As the grass grows up through the holes the tortoises will eat it. This frequent cutting back also stimulates tillering or spreading of newer culms from each plug or clump. When enough is well established so that will not be destroyed, can remove/replace flats as needed.

Something similar to this (and better as it allows for more sunlight) can be created by using 2X2's for a frame and tacking on 1/4" mesh hardware cloth. There are plastic versions of 1/4" mesh cloth available at home and garden centers that would be even better! The 1 1/2" height of the 1/4" mesh frame is perfect for the grass to develope!

Since this is a perennial grass as long as it is frequently cut back their is little or no flowering. When in flower it is ornamental and I doubt that there is anything harmful about the tiny seeds with a bit of silky material. If not allowed to flower helps to maintain its nearly evergreen status in warmer climates.

Please feel free to ask questions and I can also refer you to sources for this grass. I have a nice bluish leaved form that I could send as a sample or enough to get started for one small plot. Whoever responds having the right set up would gladly provide until I am out...which is not too much at this point.

I love propagating stuff and am in an ideal climate. If enough interest could grow more as per order. I also have a variety of Buffalo grass that remains evergreen here and is greener than other clones. It is a female clone adapted to cool summer areas developed by UC Riverside.

Michael :shy::tort:_ _ _:tort:_ _ _:tort:_ _ _

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
An addition to to growth zone on this plant is I know from observation it is hardy at least to USDA growth zone 3.

natureguy

5 Year Member
Itort said:
An addition to to growth zone on this plant is I know from observation it is hardy at least to USDA growth zone 3.

Thanks Itort, I knew it was hardier that just zone 5 thanks!
For some reason the law says I cannot edit my post! So it is written forever in stone concerning plant hardiness!:(
Michael ;) :tort:_ _ _

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
natureguy said:
Itort said:

For some reason the law says I cannot edit my post! So it is written forever in stone concerning plant hardiness!:(

Nothing is ever written in stone in here, you just have to know the right people. ;) :D Is that what you wanted done?

natureguy

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
natureguy said:
Itort said:

Nothing is ever written in stone in here, you just have to know the right people. ;) :D Is that what you wanted done?
Thanks Jacqui!:D

I guess I did not think before I lept into writing the post beginning this thread. I thought that I would just get much of it out there and come back and add other things like diagrams and/or photos as well as more specifics about the evidence of Little Bluestem's nutrient value as I prepared it. Yes, it would be nice to change the hardiness value for now. but I am not ready for the other amendments.

Since this site is set up this way I think that what I will do is start a whole new thread concerning the subject where I can have something more thorough and complete! It of course not only includes the use of this grass as a staple food but how to incorporate it as a functional design element into the outdoor tortoise enclosure.

Maybe you have a better idea of how to go about it!:p

Thanks
Michael:shy: :tort:_ _ _:tort:_ _ _:tort:_ _ _

Status
Not open for further replies.