Little escape artist...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have a month old R/Footed tortoise that I've been housing in doors. Gradually, I started letting him spend more and more time outside in my screened patio area that has a tortoise run in it. I sectioned off an area and made it baby "safe" for him. I left him out for 2-4 hours per day for some sun and exercise. Saturday, I checked on him. It was raining and he was inside of a flower pot. My wife and I went to dinner and when we came home maybe 1.5 hours later, baby Hercules was missing! I could see exactly how he got out. Through a tiny slit just big enough to go through. I hadn't previously seen it and unlucky for him, it was an exit into the back yard and not just into the main pen. We got busy. Daylight was going away and we search on hands and knees through the whole yard and even through neighbors yards in case he had made it all the way to the fence line. In my mind, I couldn't see him navigating that grass areas. He's too small. But there is a brick pathway that circles the whole back yard and exits in the front yard on one side and my large tortoise pen on the other. I stayed on the path and searched until the sun went down and then for an hour more with a flash light. By this time, I figured that a passing bird or something must have seen him stumbling down the path and took him. I was very unhappy. At about 11:00 at night, my dog let me know that he had to go outside. I took a flashlight and to my amazement and relief, I found Hercules on the garden path sitting there getting warm, I suppose. He was only about half a foot away from the escape spot! I am convinced he was headed back to his flower pot and maybe Romaine that he thought was still there. This weekend I'm dismantling and redesigning the patio pen just for him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Close call. They do seem to be able to find the smallest of spots. My Russian got out once. The one time I forgot to close the gate to his outside enclosure. It was cracked open just a bit. I swear he stood there and watch me forget too close it, some time later, I have no idea how long, luckily, I found him heading towards the house. He could have easily gone in any other direction and I probably would not have found him. Well, the gate gets shut every time and checked.
Glad you found yours too.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
WHEW!!!! CONGRATULATIONS on getting your bad boy back!!!:p

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Funny update. Yesterday I was doing some maintenance on one of my fish ponds and I let Hercules out into his newly remodeled pen. I just happened to look over in time to watch him climb straight up a red clay brick, laid sideways and hop over to the other "forbidden" area of his enclosure. How can a tiny, clumsy little man do that? I still can't believe my eyes! More walls are in order.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
He is a little escape artist for sure, such a naughty little one. I am glad you found him.