Little Leopard recently adopted recovering from a URI.

Ora H

Location (City and/or State)
North Bend
Hi there tortoise lovers,
As a Christmas present to my family (and myself I went looking for another box turtle to adopt and lo and behold I found a Russian tortoise for $25 , and then a little almost 3 yr old Leopard Tortoise who was given to me. Her name is Maya I added Shelly so she is Maya Shelly. The people I got her from were coached by people who had the idea of ‘enough water in the food’. So I immediately started giving her hydration, which I think she desperately needed and I’m still a little concerned about the chronic Dehydration, and her little respiratory distress, she’s got some Pyramiding which could truly be MBD, but she gets up and moves around ok, I’d like to let her around the house more but not while she’s still ill. The people I got her from told me she was a sulcata. . I was happy to learn she was a leopard, from knowledgeable friends on Facebook, however I was unhappy to learn how much getting the chill from moving to our house , the first couple days, negatively affected her. I’m in Oregon on the coast.
I took her to a vet who gave me some liquid antibiotics to drop in her eyes/nose. She is the only exotic vet in our area, who admits that birds are her specialty and I probably am gaining more knowledge from here. We discussed the injections and that if she doesn’t improve they will be needed. Well I called her wanting to get the price on the injectables because her breathing still seems labored at times, but that is the only symptom. She said she would get back to me about it but hasn’t, maybe she thinks they aren’t necessary? But I’m really nervous and unsure. Should I keep bothering her? I’m not rich, this is my Christmas like I said. I want to get her healthy but if I don’t need to give her injections that’d be great. Having a hard time keeping her humidity up above 50%. Just got the hygrometer a few days ago. Been making sure to try to keep her above 80 at night even and warmer during the day, with the basking around a hundred, in the center because she’s sick and needs to stay warm. I will include pics and a video so y’all can see and drop your input in. Thanks for your time and advice.

Ora H

Location (City and/or State)
North Bend
I should add that she was opening her mouth quite a bit like a yawn, and then getting lethargic and getting some bubbles the day I took her to the vet.