Little slice of nature... Hamiltonii

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
Thank you. Since the Sinensis are in a new enclosure, I'd love to get a species that would work well in a planted habitat. Been thinking about Pelusios Nanus, but so hard to find LTC or CB animals. Chinese Big Heads are another dream species, but I'd want to create a really great habitat with a climbable waterfall if I were to get them. Maybe it'll just remain the hatchling tank. If I can get some plants really rooted, it could be perfect for all kinds of species and just a fish tank when not occupied. We'll see...

Currently working on this idea. Just rescaped this tank. Will take a while to cycle and clear up, but expect updates within the month.

Planning to use this tank as the “pretty” hatchling rearing unit. Will only be using tiny and fast species of fish. I’m thinking Embers Tetra, Pygmy Corydoras, Otocinclus, some livebearers, and some different snails and shrimp.

Only “calm” turtle species will be housed for the first few months of life. That means no sliders and no soft shells. Mainly heavier, slower species. Maybe some maps too. Of course trial and error as well as individual temperament will play a large role in picking.

Still deciding what to do with the sandy area. Will either be using carpeted plants or just replacing with a lighter sand. What do you think?

Here is the tank freshly planted and filled up:

IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
SO incredibly gorgeous!!!!! :)

What are you using for substrate in this tank? :)
What lights are you using?
Do you fertilize the plants? :p
What kind of filtration?

What made you decide to go with acrylic instead of glass- the size? :)

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
SO incredibly gorgeous!!!!! :)

What are you using for substrate in this tank? :)
What lights are you using?
Do you fertilize the plants? :p
What kind of filtration?

What made you decide to go with acrylic instead of glass- the size? :)

Thanks Mooz.

I’m using ADA Aquasoil Amazonia for the plant section. I stacked lava rock in the higher areas to prevent the soil from going anaerobic. I think I’ll be using the ADA La Plata sand in the sand area.

For lights, I am using two 30” Finnex LED fixtures. I believe they are the Fugeray and Planted+. They have worked well for medium light requirement plants. I’m trying a few higher light plants this time. We’ll see how it goes.

Yes. I’m using a few things right now. I use a liquid CO2 by the brand EasyCarbo. I also fertilize with ADA Green Brighty Mineral and ADA Green Brighty Neutral-K. I think I’ll be adding an iron fertilizer in a few months once things settle in as well.

I use an Eheim canister filter. Can’t remember which model. My tank is 35 gallons so whichever is right around that size. It is a little bit of a pain to clean, but works fine. It has clogged in the past, but I blame that more on messy softshell turtles and my poor maintenance rather than on the filter. It has been running for three years now.

I believe acrylic was the cheaper option of the two. I prefer glass when affordable. It is easier to clean and is usually much thinner, so it adds a sleekness to the overall appearance.

How is your tank search going?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thanks Mooz.

I’m using ADA Aquasoil Amazonia for the plant section. I stacked lava rock in the higher areas to prevent the soil from going anaerobic. I think I’ll be using the ADA La Plata sand in the sand area.

For lights, I am using two 30” Finnex LED fixtures. I believe they are the Fugeray and Planted+. They have worked well for medium light requirement plants. I’m trying a few higher light plants this time. We’ll see how it goes.

Yes. I’m using a few things right now. I use a liquid CO2 by the brand EasyCarbo. I also fertilize with ADA Green Brighty Mineral and ADA Green Brighty Neutral-K. I think I’ll be adding an iron fertilizer in a few months once things settle in as well.

I use an Eheim canister filter. Can’t remember which model. My tank is 35 gallons so whichever is right around that size. It is a little bit of a pain to clean, but works fine. It has clogged in the past, but I blame that more on messy softshell turtles and my poor maintenance rather than on the filter. It has been running for three years now.

I believe acrylic was the cheaper option of the two. I prefer glass when affordable. It is easier to clean and is usually much thinner, so it adds a sleekness to the overall appearance.

How is your tank search going?

Sort of stalled out, right now.
I’m keeping a close eye on Craigslist in our area, hoping to get a deal! ;)

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Sort of stalled out, right now.
I’m keeping a close eye on Craigslist in our area, hoping to get a deal! ;)

Too bad, I had a perfect deal for you...my free 125g tank and metal stand...Its gone now...

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
That was a pretty good deal. Why free?

Making room for are 1st baby...my sister took the aquatic turtles..she has a stock tank in her loft...so I moved the tort duplex into the animal room.