Little white tiny bugs in substrate .... Small dots

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn , NY
What are these? I just noticed them crawling in the substrate ..are they harmful to my tort?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Your picture did not come up, but a few days ago on another thread, I believe it was member Neal that said he puts his coco coir substrate in a bucket and pours boiling water on it, let's it sit until cooled, then strains and reuses. I believe it was to both clean it and get rid of bugs. He said he has had the same coco bark/coco coir for over 2 years doing this maintenance. If memory serves me right, he does this once (?) a month ... hope this helps.

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Your picture did not come up, but a few days ago on another thread, I believe it was member Neal that said he puts his coco coir substrate in a bucket and pours boiling water on it, let's it sit until cooled, then strains and reuses. I believe it was to both clean it and get rid of bugs. He said he has had the same coco bark/coco coir for over 2 years doing this maintenance. If memory serves me right, he does this once (?) a month ... hope this helps.

Yes thank you ill try this now since I have some time...appreciate your response :)

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
It is coco coir, right? Probably wood mites in the coir. I'm trying freezing mine first before soaking it. It doesn't take long for them to really infest it. Harmless to your tort, though

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
MikeCow1 said:
It is coco coir, right? Probably wood mites in the coir. I'm trying freezing mine first before soaking it. It doesn't take long for them to really infest it. Harmless to your tort, though

Yes it is coco coir and I always freeze it but good to hear they won't hurt him that's a relief

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Wood mites, or spring tails. We commonly recommend adding spring tails to frog enclosures to help eat the feces and other detritus from plant matter. Removing feces and old food as quickly as possible helps keep spring tail populations down. They're actually a popular food item for small dart frogs, and we sell cultures of them for amphibian keepers. :)

In moderate quantities, they're harmless to your tortoises. Even really large numbers of them are pretty harmless, unless your tortoise has an injury/open wound (and I am sure yours does not!). Letting the enclosure dry out some and ensuring there isn't much for them to eat in the cage will also help keep numbers down.

-Jen

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
LLLReptile said:
Wood mites, or spring tails. We commonly recommend adding spring tails to frog enclosures to help eat the feces and other detritus from plant matter. Removing feces and old food as quickly as possible helps keep spring tail populations down. They're actually a popular food item for small dart frogs, and we sell cultures of them for amphibian keepers. :)

In moderate quantities, they're harmless to your tortoises. Even really large numbers of them are pretty harmless, unless your tortoise has an injury/open wound (and I am sure yours does not!). Letting the enclosure dry out some and ensuring there isn't much for them to eat in the cage will also help keep numbers down.

-Jen

Thanks I panicked when I saw them...I'm super protective of my little guy...I cleaned out all the substrate today just to make myself feel better ..think I'm gonna make a habit of doing this every 2 to 3 months ....I've only had him for 8 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.