Live plants safe for Box turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area
I was wondering which live plants are safe for box turtles..I want to put real plants in the habitat (leaving them in the pots of course)

Thank You
Jojo :tort:

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
indoor or outdoor habitat?

if outdoor forget the pots, plant them : )

sword ferns, hosta's, wild strawberries, grass is always good and so are dandelions

these are just a few to get you started : )

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
I would avoid the pothos. I would suggest looking for plants from the same area as the turtle that are non toxic to them. Though don't use lists of plants that are toxic to mammal (like humans) as a guide as Box Turtles are known to be able and routinely eat organisms that are toxic or leathal to mammals like jack in the pulpit berries, and destroying angel mushrooms. If you tell me what species you have and subspecies I should be able to give you suggestions.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Saloli said:
I would avoid the pothos. I would suggest looking for plants from the same area as the turtle that are non toxic to them. Though don't use lists of plants that are toxic to mammal (like humans) as a guide as Box Turtles are known to be able and routinely eat organisms that are toxic or leathal to mammals like jack in the pulpit berries, and destroying angel mushrooms. If you tell me what species you have and subspecies I should be able to give you suggestions.

If you are giving out suggestions.. I have a Florida Box Turtle hatchling and I wanted to add a small potted plant to her indoor setup.. any suggestions on something that will do well indoors??

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
you could order sea grapes seeds from seedman.com they are pretty easy to grow and are from fla. Depending on the size of your tank you could also get a dwarf palmetto palm (walmart has these alot).

Katherine

5 Year Member
I keep a few plants with my baby three toed BTs that are inside for the winter; nothing fancy but I have spinach, coreopsis, clover, and a milenrama fern for hiding under in each indoor container. The plants all do well indoors and the box turtles seem happy. They really love the cover a fern so I would def recommend that...

View attachment 15625

Status
Not open for further replies.