Living arrangements for two tortoises

lacrime

5 Year Member
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I have two tortoises, one is about two years old and the other is older though we found him/her outside so I don't know the exact age. My younger one got sick a few weeks ago, RI, this was right about the time I let the bigger one in the garden. If it's a coincidence or not, I don't know, I'm clueless.
They found the same spot to hide under and I couldn't be sure if it's okay to keep them this way. I recently tried dividing the garden in half to give each their own space but my little one kept running away to that spot and ended up next to the older one. I switched their places and now the older one seems irritated. I arranged a spot much the same as the one they preferred but neither of them seems to like it.

Is it okay to keep them together? It's a pretty big space if the garden is not divided in half and I'm wondering if having them sleep in the same space is what might've gotten the little one sick in the first place. Is this possible? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ps. I can't post a picture now because it's late here and I didn't have one that covers the whole garden.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of tortoise/ turtles are they? It's never good to keep in pairs. The behavior your seeing may be bullying. I would not keep them together. Set up their part of the yard and let them get used to it without changing it up

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species are we talking about? Where are you?

Tortoises should not be kept in pairs.

Sounds like you need to build a more secure divider.

lacrime

5 Year Member
This is my little one. And the other one is a bigger version of him.
260ploz.jpg

This is back when he was sick but thankfully he's okay now. I'd be lying if I said I knew the species, I keep looking at pictures trying to identify but I couldn't. And I'm in Turkey, in a small town where I can hardly get help either identifying or just about anything, really. It's a very warm place though, and the humidity is high. In the summer it can get really hot.

I thought so, about what you both said about keeping them together. In that case, I'm going to build a better fence and just wait it out for them to adapt to their new surroundings. The older one was wary when he first arrived, kept trying to get out and leave. I just hope he'll adapt a second time.

Thank you both for the advise! If you can identify my little one from the picture, let me know. I don't really have anyone I can ask around here. Shame.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
where are you located? Definitely a Greek, need some more info as to what subspecies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since the older tortoise is used to the yard, I'd make a new yard for the younger one.

lacrime

5 Year Member
Thank you, @Tom , @HermanniChris and @Yvonne G - I'm not going to put them back together. Just leave them be and see how they do.
The little one was living in the garden for the two years so I've put him to his usual spot and will arrange something more alluring for the older one.

Thanks guys!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
This is my little one. And the other one is a bigger version of him.
260ploz.jpg

This is back when he was sick but thankfully he's okay now. I'd be lying if I said I knew the species, I keep looking at pictures trying to identify but I couldn't. And I'm in Turkey, in a small town where I can hardly get help either identifying or just about anything, really. It's a very warm place though, and the humidity is high. In the summer it can get really hot.

I thought so, about what you both said about keeping them together. In that case, I'm going to build a better fence and just wait it out for them to adapt to their new surroundings. The older one was wary when he first arrived, kept trying to get out and leave. I just hope he'll adapt a second time.

Thank you both for the advise! If you can identify my little one from the picture, let me know. I don't really have anyone I can ask around here. Shame.
A very warm welcome to you and to your gorgeous Greek tort.:tort:

Please do not keep torts together as bullying could begin: torts do not like company. ;)

Are you giving them daily soaks in warm water?

(By the way I have a Greek tort too: Oli :<3: )

lacrime

5 Year Member
Hi @Gillian Moore ! Thank you, as clueless as I am, it was great to have found you guys :)

I already decided against keeping them together. Left them be, and the older one was warmer towards me today when I went to feed him lol Though I don't even know if it's a he or she :) It was a total coincidence having Bicirik, my little one, a neighbor left his mom to our garden and from there on there was Bicirik :) I've had zero knowledge and experience, and relied completely on that neighbor's advice which wasn't more than leaving them in the garden and feeding them. If Bicirik hadn't gotten sick, I probably would still be clueless :)

I don't soak them in water everyday since we water the garden. I'm hoping that gives them enough hydration if that's what you mean. And I usually soak whatever I'm feeding them in water. They seem to be doing okay.

Much love to Oli! What a lovely name! :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Gillian Moore ! Thank you, as clueless as I am, it was great to have found you guys :)

I already decided against keeping them together. Left them be, and the older one was warmer towards me today when I went to feed him lol Though I don't even know if it's a he or she :) It was a total coincidence having Bicirik, my little one, a neighbor left his mom to our garden and from there on there was Bicirik :) I've had zero knowledge and experience, and relied completely on that neighbor's advice which wasn't more than leaving them in the garden and feeding them. If Bicirik hadn't gotten sick, I probably would still be clueless :)

I don't soak them in water everyday since we water the garden. I'm hoping that gives them enough hydration if that's what you mean. And I usually soak whatever I'm feeding them in water. They seem to be doing okay.

Much love to Oli! What a lovely name! :)
Hi! :) I am another one with little experience as far as pets are concerned: I never had one till I got Oli :<3: a little more than five years ago. As I was searching for help on the net I found this forum and joined it.:tort:

What is the weather like in Turkey? I live in Jordan where it's very DRY :( Winter and Summer alike. Therefore I give Oli :<3: a daily soak i Winter and about three in Summer! The country went through a HEATWAVE last week whereas temperature exceeded 40 degrees Celcius!;)

Thanks as far as Oli's name is concerned. It is the nick-name of a German football player I am in love with: Oliver Kahn.:<3: