Living outdoor full time and now I need help

Squirts

Location (City and/or State)
Fontana ca
So we have built my 1 1/2 sulcata a outdoor house that she basically just sleeps in at night. During the say we leave her out in the backyard to get some sun and move around. We started to keep her outside full time but now she doesnt want to leave a corner 3 days ago. On one side of her enclosure she has a DIY box with a heat pad and out of the box is reptile mulch and a heat lamp( which I only turn on at night) with orchid bark below it for humidity and the other side of the enclosure its lots of hay for her to bury herself And the temps are cooler on that side. But she will not eat or move from that area. I'm need help with the humidity on the side of where the hay is because shes liking that side and I know humidity is a big factor in her health so what can I do to keep humidity up. I'm noticing she really likes the hay to bury herself.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's just the way they are. They choose the spot they want to shelter and it's pretty hard to change their mind. One way to conquer it is to move the DIY box over to that corner, but I realize that's NOT where the electricity is, so the other way to conquer the problem is to physically pick her up every evening and place her in the DIY box and block the door so she can't get out. It will probably take three or four nights of doing this before she goes in on her own. (Don't be surprised or disappointed when "she" flashes her man parts!"

You could also remove the hay which is making that corner attractive.

Squirts

Fontana ca
That's just the way they are. They choose the spot they want to shelter and it's pretty hard to change their mind. One way to conquer it is to move the DIY box over to that corner, but I realize that's NOT where the electricity is, so the other way to conquer the problem is to physically pick her up every evening and place her in the DIY box and block the door so she can't get out. It will probably take three or four nights of doing this before she goes in on her own. (Don't be surprised or disappointed when "she" flashes her man parts!"

You could also remove the hay which is making that corner attractive.
I Will try that tonight . Thank u so much. I hope she doesnt show me her man part lol. I call her a girl but who knows what she is.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings...

I’m thinking if your tort house is outside like you say, there really isnt much more you can do to the enclosure to increase humidity levels.

• and the other side of the enclosure its lots of hay for her to bury herself And the temps are cooler on that side. But she will not eat or move from that area. I'm need help with the humidity on the side of where the hay is because shes liking that side and I know humidity is a big factor in her health so what can I do to keep humidity up. I'm noticing she really likes the hay to bury herself.

As Yvonne said, you could remove the hay (prone to mildew in high humidity levels) and add in more moist orchid bark or coco coir or cypress mulch (what I use). They are pretty stubborn and sit, sleep where they want. But, it will be pretty hard to change humidity levels in an outdoor outside house/night box.

I would guess your humidity is exactly this..(maybe less in a heated night box).

0499F65A-5760-4B0D-8060-C4F010110DA6.jpeg

Good luck!

Squirts

Fontana ca
Greetings...

I’m thinking if your tort house is outside like you say, there really isnt much more you can do to the enclosure to increase humidity levels.

• and the other side of the enclosure its lots of hay for her to bury herself And the temps are cooler on that side. But she will not eat or move from that area. I'm need help with the humidity on the side of where the hay is because shes liking that side and I know humidity is a big factor in her health so what can I do to keep humidity up. I'm noticing she really likes the hay to bury herself.

As Yvonne said, you could remove the hay (prone to mildew in high humidity levels) and add in more moist orchid bark or coco coir or cypress mulch (what I use). They are pretty stubborn and sit, sleep where they want. But, it will be pretty hard to change humidity levels in an outdoor outside house/night box.

I would guess your humidity is exactly this..(maybe less in a heated night box).

View attachment 274805

Good luck!
Yeah IRS so hard. Will that affect him if there's not much humidity?