Load Shedding and what do I do.

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
So Cape Town has started load shedding again. The power goes off for about two to two and a half hours. My worry is that if I am at work and the power is out which means the CHE will go off and the lights too. During the day we are hitting around 30 degrees celsius but sometimes lower outside. Inside my enclosure the one side by the CHE is set for 30 degrees and no heater on the otherside, which will on really hot days also sit at 30 degrees celsius. My question is if the power goes off for about two to two and a half hours will my babies get sick? That is will they be okay in the humid environment at a lower temp for those two to two and a half hours?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My gut feeling is that they will be fine, Carol. Losing power for a couple of hours or so isn’t great, but your frozen food stays frozen and your torts won’t die.

In the wild, you get unexpected periods of bad weather which, if prolonged, can do harm.

For short periods, it’s not ideal, but I doubt it will cause lasting problems

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
So Cape Town has started load shedding again. The power goes off for about two to two and a half hours. My worry is that if I am at work and the power is out which means the CHE will go off and the lights too. During the day we are hitting around 30 degrees celsius but sometimes lower outside. Inside my enclosure the one side by the CHE is set for 30 degrees and no heater on the otherside, which will on really hot days also sit at 30 degrees celsius. My question is if the power goes off for about two to two and a half hours will my babies get sick? That is will they be okay in the humid environment at a lower temp for those two to two and a half hours?
If you want peace of mind, you can do what I did and purchase a battery backup. I have two running in tandem and get about 7 or 8 hours running 2 CHE's and a humidifier.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
My gut feeling is that they will be fine, Carol. Losing power for a couple of hours or so isn’t great, but your frozen food stays frozen and your torts won’t die.

In the wild, you get unexpected periods of bad weather which, if prolonged, can do harm.

For short periods, it’s not ideal, but I doubt it will cause lasting problems
Thank you Linda. I thought that might be the case, but I just wanted to ask to make sure. In the meantime I will do some research on batteries to see what the cost would be etc.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
If you want peace of mind, you can do what I did and purchase a battery backup. I have two running in tandem and get about 7 or 8 hours running 2 CHE's and a humidifier.
Mizcreant would you be kind enough to post a pic of your batteries and how they are connected, so that I can get an idea of what to look for?