Local Ad - Who can ID these two? (new title - In Need Of Rehab Advice!)

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
Definitely get them soaking. Keep it shallow enough the turtle doesn't have to work to hold its head out of the water. The species can swim, but these two may never have experienced that before.

wanderlust

Northern Utah
The vet just looked at them and said he thinks their condition is primarily from bad husbandry and MBD associated with it. They are not in great condition for him to trim them or do anything further at this time so I am to take them home, keep them quarantined from my other tortoises and see what they look like in a month with proper care. ?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Try feeding them on something like a slate tile. It may help gradually wear down those beaks a little bit.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
The vet just looked at them and said he thinks their condition is primarily from bad husbandry and MBD associated with it. They are not in great condition for him to trim them or do anything further at this time so I am to take them home, keep them quarantined from my other tortoises and see what they look like in a month with proper care. ?

Thanks for taking them in, those pictures were really hard to look at. Good luck and keep us posted!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
What is this one? In the initial post, someone thought it might be a gulf coast but I'm thinking maybe a desert? It does not have much of a tail so I'm not sure if you can tell but is it male or female?

View attachment 301682View attachment 301687View attachment 301689View attachment 301691View attachment 301693View attachment 301696View attachment 301697View attachment 301698View attachment 301699View attachment 301700View attachment 301701

First of all.....
Thank you for rescuing these little babies..
Second of all.....
HHHOOOWWW CUUUUUUTTTTEEEE!!!!
I want them!!!!
Ok.... that being said .... go listen to all the people on this site to get GREAT info and help fixing them up.... we will talk later about cuteness... ?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
This is the littler, much more active, dominant one. Is it a 3 toed? I think I saw more than 3 toes but I'm not sure that any others have that distinctive round shell?

View attachment 301702View attachment 301703View attachment 301704View attachment 301705View attachment 301706View attachment 301707View attachment 301708View attachment 301709View attachment 301710

He is so cute too.... but do as one of the posts said.... soak them both asap and add
“Unflavored pedialite “ to the water...
It will give them help with their dehydration immediately... (I speak from experience on that one..) it DOES work...
Maybe wash off the top of their shells too??

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

stupid vet.... mine is the same.... if mine isn’t bleeding from somewhere he says she looks good....
Ok ... maybe for the beaks try a cuttle bone? (They sell them for birds).. it is good for wildling down their beaks... torts too!!

wanderlust

Northern Utah
All the extra crustiness, does it just look like stuck shed from bad husbandry or does it look fungal? When I got them home and into the bath this evening, they smelled so bad. I was able to trim the little feisty one. I also massaged them with a little coconut oil.

wanderlust

Northern Utah
Got them home and soaked tonight. Scrubbed them lightly with a toothbrush and then massaged them with a bit of coconut oil. I definitely agree that the little one is an ornate. You can see the yellow spots on it's legs now that it's had a bath. The last picture is on what little tail the bigger one has. ?

IMG_8882.jpgIMG_8879.jpgIMG_8885.jpgIMG_8889.jpgIMG_8878.jpg

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Got them home and soaked tonight. Scrubbed them lightly with a toothbrush and then massaged them with a bit of coconut oil. I definitely agree that the little one is an ornate. You can see the yellow spots on it's legs now that it's had a bath. The last picture is on what little tail the bigger one has. ?
Thank you for taking care of them. You are a Hero! :) ?

wanderlust

Northern Utah
The smaller one MIGHT be an ornata. Hard to tell because of the shell damage. Her feet don't look too good either.

The shell on this one is such a mess. A lot of it has flaked off or in the process of coming off. Will he eventually get the ornate pattern back?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Thank you for rescuing these two.

Does the Gulfie have any toes at all on the front feet?

wanderlust

Northern Utah
Is it possible to change the name of this thread? My focus now is getting rehab advice.

Would these two benefit from iodine or any of the anti-fungal suggestions in the rescue tortoise thread?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When we have dry skin we use topicals to help hydrate and moisten. I wonder if there's anything you can put on those poor, dry feet to help moisten and lubricate them. How about cold pressed coconut oil? Maybe warm up the oil, dab it on with a Q-tip, allow it to soak in, then pat dry with an absorbent cloth???????

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I do not think so. She is very shy so it's hard to tell if there are any partial toes left.
She's probably never had an earthworm or other live food before. I'm not saying you should go that direction, but IF you did, she would probably need it cut into smaller pieces so it doesn't slap her in the face when she tries to eat it. My young Gulfie readily uses her front feet to help wrangle and subdue any food that tries to escape or fight back. She will often hold it down or pull at it with one foot while she tries to bite off a piece of a red wiggler or superworm.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
OMG!!!!!!
What a difference!!!!!!
They look SOOOOOO much better!!!!
You are wonderful!!!! Thank you for taking care of these guys....
Now..... on to fixing some of their ...well....
their .... ouches????..??