Local substrates- ecoscraps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erimis

5 Year Member
Hi, hubby finally made my table for my cherries! Need about 3 cu ft to fill it. Cant find just dirt. Have been using coco coir, but expensive for large amount. Saw Ecoscraps- listed as coir, friut/veggie compost? Heard of this??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I haven't heard of that. But one bundle of coconut coir I bought was sold for raising worms and to use in gardens. Sounds like a different name for the same stuff. Does it look like coconut coir? It's probably cheaper if sold for raising worms or gardening then the stuff sold for reptiles but is probably the same.

Erimis

5 Year Member
I ended up just buying the Eco Earth coconut coir stuff. More expensive but I know its safe. Everything seems to have fertilizer or some additive in it!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
FYI, you can get 5 kilogram (11 pound) bales of coco coir at many hydroponic stores for ~$12.50. Below is a link so you can see what I'm talking about. Don't order it online, try to find a hydroponic store in your area, this way you won't pay shipping. Each bale covers about 2 cubic feet.

http://www.greenerhydroponics.com/GH-Cocotek-Bale-5Kg_p_76438.html - This is the one I have purchased recently and am happy with.

Status
Not open for further replies.