Loking For Diet And Housing Information For African Sideneck Turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Supposedly tomorrow I am getting a sexed pair of African Side neck turtles.I know absolutely nothing about them, except they are water turtles and need to be kept warm. any info will be greatly appreciated. ----looking-

bigjohn

5 Year Member
[quoteen' pid='713862' dateline='1375487250']
Supposedly tomorrow I am getting a sexed pair of African Side neck turtles.I know absolutely nothing about them, except they are water turtles and need to be kept warm. any info will be greatly appreciated. ----looking-
[/quote]

Hi i have one side neck i keep her in a 55 gallon bin for now i have A 55 gallon filter a submergable heater uvblight and heat lamp a couple of rocks stacked up so she can have a dry spot and i let her run around out side every once in a while here's my side neck squishy

Attachments

• 20130726_143840.jpg
    20130726_143840.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 53

NickWag

5 Year Member
Mandeville, LA
Good info. from bigjohn. One HUGE point: you have to be very sure to keep the water dechlorinated and clean. I had some water problems with mine, and it eventually died. (Also didn't help that my power went out on a cold night and my water temp. got down to 62. Definitely can't let that happen.)

bigjohn

5 Year Member
Oh yea and every time i change water i put reptisafe its water conditioner

bigjohn

5 Year Member
Len said:
Thanks, What do you recommend feeding them ?

It depends on turtle mine likes fluckers buffet mix tried feeding live foods she never took but every turtles different

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Len said:
cdmay said:
Try this...
http://www.pelomedusa.com/
Regardless of what species you have, what you find here will apply.

Thanks, looks to be a great site, I have a lot of reading to do. here is a pic of the pair

Hard to say for sure but they do look like two Pelomedusa subrufa. They are actually very cool turtles!

Status
Not open for further replies.