Status
Not open for further replies.

REDFOOTMATT

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I have had two small RF eggs in the incubator since 8/2/10. I was sure they were dead but the were still white and looked OK some I let them sit. One is pipping today. That's 178 days. I think that's the longest I've had one go and survive. They usually average a little over 100 days. Have any of you had inc. periods that long?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Never that long.. and seldom if ever that short! What temps are you incubating at?

NERD

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I had one which took 221 days and a few take between 160 and 185. All of which were incubated at 86 F. I think humidity may play a part but in some cases the development just doesn't 'kick-off' quite as quickly.

REDFOOTMATT

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
CA
Redfoot NERD said:
Never that long.. and seldom if ever that short! What temps are you incubating at?

NERD
Hey Terry, when I say a little over 100, I mean 110-120 days on average. Some longer but not often. I have one inc. at around 83, one at 84 and one at 85. They are old school hovabators that I've been using for about 20 years. They vary a bit but keep on going. The egg that went so long was from a young smaller female and they were very small eggs. One still has not hatched. It may have been her first clutch.

HLogic, 221 days? Wow! That's Redfoot eggs? That just goes to show you, if they look good don't toss 'em. :D

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I don't know how many days (I am too lazy to count them) but I have had some RF eggs take 7 months to hatch while other from the very same clutch hatched at 4 and a half months.
I think HLogic is right in that humidity could be causing some sort of diapause.

REDFOOTMATT

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
CA
REDFOOTMATT said:
I have had two small RF eggs in the incubator since 8/2/10. I was sure they were dead but the were still white and looked OK some I let them sit. One is pipping today. That's 178 days. I think that's the longest I've had one go and survive. They usually average a little over 100 days. Have any of you had inc. periods that long?
So the second tiny egg from 8/2/10 is pipping today. 205 days. Heh. :D

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Interesting, do you monitor humidity levels? Was anything different this time? The new female being her first may have merit.

REDFOOTMATT

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
CA
ALDABRAMAN said:
Interesting, do you monitor humidity levels? Was anything different this time? The new female being her first may have merit.
I'm sure it was the young small female that made the difference. There were other eggs in the same inc. that did not go long term. Only the two. The eggs and torts were tiny but they seem healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.