Long term MBD effects

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Many months ago, I had posted about a new Chameleon that I added to my group. (Separate cages) that had a horrible case of MBD caused by the pet shop neither having adequate UVB lighting or D or D3 dusted feeder insects.
Many tortoises suffer this same way. But in the case of a lizard it was easier to SEE the symptoms earlier. And he was treated by Dr. Kelleher of the famed tv show "Dr.K exotic vets"
Dr Pardini treated my Chameleon. First after Xrays and blood draws to confirm the issue. Then by extensive treatment with oral Calcium drops daily. Correct H.O T5 lighting and gut loaded, D3 sprinkled crickets, roaches, horn worms and Superworms.
For a while, he rallied. His leg bones would forever be twisted. But more X Ray's showed better, increased density. In fact, every visit showed improvement.
He became stronger. He walked better and his food targeting had become more precise. Though he lost the ability to shoot his tongue out very far. So he only ate from a cup.
After several months, I began leaving him alone in my enclosed patio to get some sunshine on a Ficus. Like I do with my other Chameleons.
Well, two days ago, I found him on the ground and I took him back in to see the vet. He had multiple broken bones and we were forced to euthanize him.
It was very sad.
Very disappointing.
Please people. Make sure that you provide UVB for your REPTILES. And the correct form of it. Either actual sunlight or in the form of a T5 strip florescent UVB tube light.
The damage done cannot be UNdone. And even if the animal survives for a while, it must be a horrible existence.
BTW. The pet shop that sold me this critically ill lizard is:
THE JUNGLE FLORIDA
Do not buy anything from them
Rest in peace.lizard #4. Named Jimmy by another member and under the name "No name" at Broward avian and exotic"

Attachments

• 20210317_104156.jpg
    20210317_104156.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20210317_164718.jpg
    20210317_164718.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210317_104205.jpg
    20210317_104205.jpg
    985.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210118_160755.jpg
    20210118_160755.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Seriously, chameleons are one of the coolest, unique lizards out there. The only thing that held me back from ever owning one is the fact that i like to handle and interact with my reptiles. So sorry for ur loss Zero ?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Sorry for your loss, grateful for your loving efforts!!!!!

One of my rescue Russians, Persephone, has a peculiar gait, she moves like a water turtle on land, that I attribute to poor diet and uvb exposure in her earlier life… it’s maybe a bit better now, or I like to imagine it is, but it’s no worse and she gets good food and good light everyday.

she’s a constant reminder to me of the awesome responsibility we have to the animals that we live with….

Jamie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Many months ago, I had posted about a new Chameleon that I added to my group. (Separate cages) that had a horrible case of MBD caused by the pet shop neither having adequate UVB lighting or D or D3 dusted feeder insects.
Many tortoises suffer this same way. But in the case of a lizard it was easier to SEE the symptoms earlier. And he was treated by Dr. Kelleher of the famed tv show "Dr.K exotic vets"
Dr Pardini treated my Chameleon. First after Xrays and blood draws to confirm the issue. Then by extensive treatment with oral Calcium drops daily. Correct H.O T5 lighting and gut loaded, D3 sprinkled crickets, roaches, horn worms and Superworms.
For a while, he rallied. His leg bones would forever be twisted. But more X Ray's showed better, increased density. In fact, every visit showed improvement.
He became stronger. He walked better and his food targeting had become more precise. Though he lost the ability to shoot his tongue out very far. So he only ate from a cup.
After several months, I began leaving him alone in my enclosed patio to get some sunshine on a Ficus. Like I do with my other Chameleons.
Well, two days ago, I found him on the ground and I took him back in to see the vet. He had multiple broken bones and we were forced to euthanize him.
It was very sad.
Very disappointing.
Please people. Make sure that you provide UVB for your REPTILES. And the correct form of it. Either actual sunlight or in the form of a T5 strip florescent UVB tube light.
The damage done cannot be UNdone. And even if the animal survives for a while, it must be a horrible existence.
BTW. The pet shop that sold me this critically ill lizard is:
THE JUNGLE FLORIDA
Do not buy anything from them
Rest in peace.lizard #4. Named Jimmy by another member and under the name "No name" at Broward avian and exotic"
That's too bad, Ed. He was a cute little bugger.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very sorry. Stinks when you put the work in to save them from the ignorant poor care and it just doesn't work.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Very sorry. Stinks when you put the work in to save them from the ignorant poor care and it just doesn't work.
Yeah.
I'd feel a lot worse if I hadn't given him my best.
I was just about sure he was going to make it and live a somewhat normal life.
But now he can be a warning about the danger of incorrect UVB light and D3 absorption.