Look at the size of these pothos. Yeah Baby!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
South Texas has got me so excited about outdoors and growing a dream. I can't wait to get it open to the public and all
Landscaped and have y'all come out and enjoy crazy turtles, torts, birds and plants.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
The pencil plant is Euphorbia tirucalli. The sap is toxic.
Yes it is .......keep well trimmed ... above torts reach ...I have never has a problem with them even trying to eat it .

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Can't remember any of the names of things though. But this one is super awesome. I call it the giraffe tree. Haha
View attachment 175664
Again don't remember any of the names. This one was awesome smelled like a perfume factory. Flower was massive as well.
View attachment 175665
This one I know. Madagascar Palm. Silver. This plant is only 4 years old. Cooliest Palm every I've got 6 small ones to plant along the pathways. But have to have a huge open area as you can see they get massive very quick.
View attachment 175666
Lots of cycads too.
View attachment 175667
View attachment 175668

View attachment 175669

That's about all I remembered to take photos of unfortunately. His place is crazy. The park will pretty much look like this in a few years. Slowly planting and planting and planting and building.
View attachment 175670
Love the split leaf split-leaf philodendron....I have some of those myself .....

I just took these while we have been chatting hope you don't mind sharing on your thread ......
Nothing wrong with a little color and some edibles too.....;)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Kelly Here are some neat palms to add as well .....
A Bismark palm.....has a neat 'blue/grey to it)

or the "fish tail Palm" ....my Favo ....

Look at the size of this cacti....

The black bamboo is always a hit and provides a nice wall barrier ....but is a rhizome runner

and the good ol' Australian Tree Fern....

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Love the split leaf split-leaf philodendron....I have some of those myself .....

I just took these while we have been chatting hope you don't mind sharing on your thread ......
Nothing wrong with a little color and some edibles too.....;)

Have at it. It's a cool thread so far

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I need to move south. My "black thumb of death" is green with envy.

Reactions: Rue

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
They call it magic valley for a reason. Everything grows like "magic". In all seriousness you can literally wake up at the crack of dawn while the sun rises and the overnight dew and watch grass and things grow whilst drinking coffee. Haha

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep all the updates coming. It's looking and sounding fabulous. You and Jeff both are lucky to have such great weather for the plants. I would love to grow any of them. Can't wait to see everything in its place

Rue

Canada

I call our place "The Acreage of Death". Sandy saline soil and well water high in tannins and other things the plants don't like...like manganese...

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

I call our place "The Acreage of Death". Sandy saline soil and well water high in tannins and other things the plants don't like...like manganese...
How deep is your well? Sounds like surface water? Have you tried getting it tastes and putting an RO or water softener system on it?

Rue

Canada
Our well is 180 feet deep I think. We have an RO system which I use for our drinking water. It would cost too much in maintenance to use it for more than that. We have a water softener too. I was wondering if the salt from that was more of a problem than the tannins and manganese? I can't figure out how to by pass it when we water the garden.

I refuse to pay for a tannin filter too. So we're sucking it up on the visually unappealing look of our water.

It is potable however. The dogs drink it. The horses drink it. Goldfish can survive in it. I cook with it...but it does weird things to pasta and potatoes.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
We had a terrible well. The water stank to high heavens and ran right through you...like Mexican tap water.
The landlord refused to fix the filter/softner/anything. It was gross

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Lovely weekend. Our botonists friend got a nursery to donate some massive palms to help the landscape look of the first portion of the park. Was thrilled. These plants were quite expensive if purchased.

First one is the show piece palm you will see when you venture on the walking trail that takes you to the screen house with a bunch of aquatics, and then the pavilion house that will house some large aquatics and South American species. Anyways here is a massive clumped fishtail Palm. Stands about 16' tall. It's a biggen. Required a backhoe to install it.
image.jpeg

These are dwarf Orinoco banana trees. These are a native South American species of banana that does not fruit. Alvin (our Botonist) says they must have dwarfed over the years due to the rise and drops of flooding in the Amazon basin area. Very cool plants.(haha look at the chickens on the chair in the background)
image.jpeg

Some lovely bromeliads added to a huge 80+ year old Ebony tree on the beginning of the walkway.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Moving right along, eh Kelly? I love that fishtail palm.