Look at this!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
These were taken while I released him into the desert. He's about 6in long, and full of fight! He kept aiming at my fingers from inside the container. I was glad I had put duct tape on to be sure the lid couldn't come off.

@Tom What is that ball of soft stuff next to him? It doesn't look like skin. I'm 99% certain it was not in there when he was put in. It wasn't there last night, just today.

Talk about all senses on alert! Walking out into the empty desert I was hyper alert! Eyes scanning, ears listening...it made a big difference when I was in their territory! 🐍 🕸️🦂:oops:20220902_124739.jpg20220902_124734.jpg20220902_124727.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
These were taken while I released him into the desert. He's about 6in long, and full of fight! He kept aiming at my fingers from inside the container. I was glad I had put duct tape on to be sure the lid couldn't come off.

@Tom What is that ball of soft stuff next to him? It doesn't look like skin. I'm 99% certain it was not in there when he was put in. It wasn't there last night, just today.

Talk about all senses on alert! Walking out into the empty desert I was hyper alert! Eyes scanning, ears listening...it made a big difference when I was in their territory! 🐍 🕸️🦂:oops:View attachment 349495View attachment 349496View attachment 349497
Looks like a hair ball/dust bunny. I suppose its possible that the little guy passed the leftover hair from his last meal, or possibly regurgitated due to stress before it was all digested.

Too late now, but did you give him a soak? Also, best to release at dawn or well after dusk in summer time. Too hot mid day.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Looks like a hair ball/dust bunny. I suppose its possible that the little guy passed the leftover hair from his last meal, or possibly regurgitated due to stress before it was all digested.

Too late now, but did you give him a soak? Also, best to release at dawn or well after dusk in summer time. Too hot mid day.
Well, I struck out on both those suggestions. 🥺 I released him around 12:30, sending him underneath a large creosote bush where he had shade and holes in the ground. I do hope he'll be OK.

Your suggestions re' the "hairball" seem very plausible, if rather disgusting. It did look like hair, now that you mentioned the possibility.

I warned him about houses. I told him the next garage owner may not be so tolerent of his presence. 😱🐍🔪🗡️⛏️

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Well, I struck out on both those suggestions. 🥺 I released him around 12:30, sending him underneath a large creosote bush where he had shade and holes in the ground. I do hope he'll be OK.

Your suggestions re' the "hairball" seem very plausible, if rather disgusting. It did look like hair, now that you mentioned the possibility.

I warned him about houses. I told him the next garage owner may not be so tolerent of his presence. 😱🐍🔪🗡️⛏️

Good job Karen. ☠️

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I am usually stuck by how small a world it is.....weekly!

I owned a home in Chartwell for 19 yrs, in Severna Park....my wife & kids graduated from the high school....

Some people are brave with snakes, some are stupid and some folks are just comfortable in their own skin and with their surroundings.....I think you fit into the latter, though not so sure your words of wisdom didn't fall on deaf ears about the neighbors not being so enamored to his presence! I also appreciate the ongoing education I get here!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Look what I found in my garage this evening! For those not from the southwest, this is a baby sidewinder rattlesnake, probably about a week to 10 days old. I came within a couple inches of running over him.

He's very feisty...he shakes his tail and strikes fast. It's good he's so tiny...he bit me!

I will take him out into the desert tomorrow and release him.

View attachment 349474

View attachment 349476
Wow! That's scary. Hope it did not frighten you.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Good you found him where these one there could be others! Nice you released him into the wild.

On another note I was in my garden today and came across frogs hopping about all over my garden! I left them where they were, however I did put out a dish of water. I love nature :)

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm wondering. Did you feel any bad effects from the bite? Hopefully not. I've always heard that the toxicity from a baby is just as bad as an adult. But that can always be one of those things people repeat without truely knowing 🤗

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Good you found him where these one there could be others! Nice you released him into the wild.

On another note I was in my garden today and came across frogs hopping about all over my garden! I left them where they were, however I did put out a dish of water. I love nature :)
I do too! I hate killing critters, but there are some that have got to go...roaches, mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, and more!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm wondering. Did you feel any bad effects from the bite? Hopefully not. I've always heard that the toxicity from a baby is just as bad as an adult. But that can always be one of those things people repeat without truely knowing 🤗
I felt no effects from the bite except it stung for a little while. I really believe it was a dry bite, meaning no venom was injected. I looked at the tiny prick on my thumb and there was no fluid visible. He only got me with one fang. And I don't know if this has any bearing, but he hit just below the cuticle, where the skin is very thin and fingernail is beginning to grow. Maybe there wasn't enough depth since only one fang made contact? I just know that I will be much more careful should I ever meet up with another one!

Tom informed us re' the babies...read post # 11 on this thread.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I felt no effects from the bite except it stung for a little while. I really believe it was a dry bite, meaning no venom was injected. I looked at the tiny prick on my thumb and there was no fluid visible. He only got me with one fang. And I don't know if this has any bearing, but he hit just below the cuticle, where the skin is very thin and fingernail is beginning to grow. Maybe there wasn't enough depth since only one fang made contact? I just know that I will be much more careful should I ever meet up with another one!

Tom informed us re' the babies...read post # 11 on this thread.
That's something I read about also. The amount of venom is the issue and all that depends on the snake's mood. Looks like I'll be reading post #11 again.☺️

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Surprisingly Gillian, I wasn't frightened at all at first. Only after hearing other people's reactions did I realize how blessed I was to not be in serious trouble.
Glad to hear that. Such animals scare me like anything.

Imagine: I'm scared of dogs. A phobia that I have not been able to deal with or get rid since I was a child.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
This whole thread makes me very glad I live in the UK where the worst thing is mosquitos which have bitten me to death all week. I'll take super itchy mozzie bites and hydrocortisone cream and the ability to walk outside barefoot without a second thought over scorpions and massive spiders anytime!
Thankfully our Adders keep to themselves.
Mozzies leave me alone - I must have bad blood!!

EricW

Houston, TX
Keep an eye on infection, which can be a bugger. Bacteria infection is quite common from snake bite, especially if deep.

It is a myth that baby snakes can't control their venom. They have full control, but have less volume due to their size. Smaller head, smaller venom sack.

Cute little guy! Glad it was a dry bite.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Keep an eye on infection, which can be a bugger. Bacteria infection is quite common from snake bite, especially if deep.

It is a myth that baby snakes can't control their venom. They have full control, but have less volume due to their size. Smaller head, smaller venom sack.

Yes that's another thing I read. Even if the snake isn't venomous, a snake bite can give you an infection. So try to let them know you're there. Here's the thing though, so we all feel safe with our pet cat. Right. Buttt... who's not heard of cat scratch fever. I've known people that got it and it came from their pet cat's bite. I still have a cat. I just get the heck out of dodge when I'm tired and want to stop petting him.☺️ he's demanding and bites if I just stop. It's the situation that controls it all.🤗

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

Thank you for the advice on infection. Fortunately, I escaped that as well. I am so blessed!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes that's another thing I read. Even if the snake isn't venomous, a snake bite can give you an infection. So try to let them know you're there. Here's the thing though, so we all feel safe with our pet cat. Right. Buttt... who's not heard of cat scratch fever. I've known people that got it and it came from their pet cat's bite. I still have a cat. I just get the heck out of dodge when I'm tired and want to stop petting him.☺️ he's demanding and bites if I just stop. It's the situation that controls it all.🤗
I'm right with you on the cat bites. I have a neutered male that thinks nothing of slicing me open because I dared to pet him when he wasn't in the mood for it.
He also tells me he loves me with nips, not very hard, but sometimes break the skin. He's actually quite sweet, but has a long list of do's and don'ts for me.