Look for Homes for 2 Cherryheads

abclements

5 Year Member
Hi all,

Been a long time since I last interacted on the forum, but Franklin is all grown up :) My buddy who got a Cherryhead Redfoot at the same time ended up rehoming his with me.

My wife and I finally bought a house and unfortunately it is just too small to house 2 full grown tortoises. They pretty much take up a whole bedroom and we really need that space in our little house and with the Seattle area, I'd have to build them a huge, heated shed to keep them outside and that's not really in the cards either. :(

So with a heavy heart, I decided that it was best to post them for rehoming. I am starting here, on the forum, since I know that they have the best opportunity to be well cared for. They are both about 7 years old (got them as itty bitty babies in the fall of 2012) and it doesn't matter to me if they go to separate homes or if they go together to round out somebody's redfoot herd. Obviously, if they are going together, I will need to verify that you will have 3 or more together (with enough space) or that you plan to keep them separated (again with enough space for each).

These torts aren't in perfect condition. 1 is a bit bumpy and both have had issues with shell rot in the past, but they are quite happy and healthy! The bumpy one (Russel) is quite interactive and loves to roam around. The other (Franklin) is a bit more reserved and spends more time just chilling. Despite both having male names, they are indeed both female (never confirmed, but the short tail and round opening on the plastron really are just dead give aways)

I'd prefer to home them close to me (Seattle, WA area) and would be able to deliver them within a reasonable distance. Or we could meet halfway if you're further than about a 2 hour drive. I would be open to shipping them (you pay shipping) to get them to the right home though!

Here are a couple pictures of each. Like I said, the shell rot is pretty rough. Especially on Russel :(
Franklin:

Franklin1.jpg
Franklin2.jpg
Franklin1.jpg
Franklin2.jpg

Russel:

Russel1.jpgRussel2.jpg
Russel1.jpg
Russel2.jpg

Let me know if you are interested! They are free to the RIGHT home. I really want to know that these guys will have the best care provided to them :)

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
I'm very interested.

I live with 4 torts currently, one of whom is a redfoot, and have been planning on adding more to build a creep.

I live in NH, so I would have to do shipping, but would be happy to pay for it... given that we're still in winter here, I'd love to wait another month, if you can hold them that long.

Jamie

abclements

5 Year Member
Hi Jamie,

Thanks for your note. I currently am PMing with another member who is going to take them. I will be shipping them sometime when the weather gets warmer, but if for any reason that falls through I will definitely reach out!

chadk

10 Year Member!
Also interested and local if you are still looking for a home for them.

Gbear

5 Year Member
Nevermind, just saw you already re-homed them

Colin the Campbell

Ottawa
Hi! I would love to adopt one of your tortoises, ive never had one before but have done alot of research, and am interested in adopting, as i dont have the money to buy one. If you still have one available then please message me!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi! I would love to adopt one of your tortoises, ive never had one before but have done alot of research, and am interested in adopting, as i dont have the money to buy one. If you still have one available then please message me!
Colin: The price of the tortoise is the cheapest part of tortoise-keeping. If you don't have enough money to actually buy a tortoise, then you probably don't have enough money to support one either.

I suggest you do a lot more research about tortoise-keeping BEFORE you actually get one.

Colin the Campbell

Ottawa
Colin: The price of the tortoise is the cheapest part of tortoise-keeping. If you don't have enough money to actually buy a tortoise, then you probably don't have enough money to support one either.

I suggest you do a lot more research about tortoise-keeping BEFORE you actually get one.
Thanks for the insight! But its just the all at once i cant pay for, over a longer span of time, ie 70$ a month i can work with, its just the 700$ up front i cant work with.

Colin the Campbell

Ottawa
Scratch that, i did some more research and realised i only have the resources for a russian as of now!

abclements

5 Year Member
Hi all, I figured I should update this thread. G-Stars took them and the have a lovely outdoor enclosure in SoCal! Thanks for all the interest!

Moderators: I'm not sure how this works, but if you can close this tread since they have been re-homed that would be great! Thanks again for all the support over the years!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Scratch that, i did some more research and realised i only have the resources for a russian as of now!
Trying to keep a Redfoot anywhere but in the Tropics is certainly DO-ABLE.
But requires quite a bit of money up front to get a suitable enclosure up and running.