'Look Mom - I'm a Water Turtle!'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
Dante in his bath this morning...It scared the poo out of me the first time I found him with his head submerged, but he loves it! He does it all the time now....Whatever makes you happy Dante, just remember to breathe! (He hates the bucket we used that he couldn't see through, go figure)

IMG_1241.jpg

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
It looks cute, but don't you think the water is too deep? I feel a bit worry also, but well it seems okay for Dante.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Not to worry, it's not as deep as it looks in the picture, I think it's a trick of the camera angle. He can easily keep his head above water if he wants and I keep a close eye on him!

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Laurie said:
That water looks way too deep. I usually just fill to where the plastron meets the carapace.

This is the correct method for any tort... :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't tell a noob to go this deep with a new tortoise, but I think its fine for an experience tortoise and keeper. Sometimes my tubs are at a slight angle where one side is deeper than the other. My tortoises don't ever mind water this deep. They have the choice to stay shallower, but usually don't.

Cute pic.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I have always soaked mine like this - just couldn't ever understand how sitting in a shallow puddle is soaking.

stena29

5 Year Member
Porterville ca
yagyujubei said:
I have always soaked mine like this - just couldn't ever understand how sitting in a shallow puddle is soaking.

I always soak mine like that they love putting their heads under the water. As long as they can get their head above water I think they are fine.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Tom said:
I wouldn't tell a noob to go this deep with a new tortoise, but I think its fine for an experience tortoise and keeper. Sometimes my tubs are at a slight angle where one side is deeper than the other. My tortoises don't ever mind water this deep. They have the choice to stay shallower, but usually don't.

Cute pic.

Why does being a noob and being excperienced make a difference? :S

Also i put water in the bathtub, and most bathtubs are generally deeper at one end.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It makes a difference to me because they might not know what they are looking at, or for, as far as potential problems go.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
It's just a bucket he's soaking not like the water dish for the enclosure. I always put my water that deep, they will dunk there heads and drinking or just dunk just to be under water lol. Good photo. Greek toetoises are cool

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
That's very cute. Although I wouldn't be that brave with the depth, I know cameras can play tricks but it really does look deep for his size. I too go near the plastron line.
Great pic tho x

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Super cute photo. He totally looks like he knows what he's doing. I've seen photos of tortoises actually swimming, which is pretty cool.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Pokeymeg said:
Not to worry, it's not as deep as it looks in the picture, I think it's a trick of the camera angle. He can easily keep his head above water if he wants and I keep a close eye on him!

Nice of you to keep watching them. I just leave my torts during soaking time, and actually I also put as high water level as long as he can still poke his head out of water. For my aldabra, I put even much deeper water level because he just floats on water and seems more relax that way. It seems to make them poop much faster with higher level of water.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Wow, wasn't expecting such concern over the water depth when I posted this pic this morning! Just thought it was a cute pic!

Just to clarify, he is in plastic tub that is slanted so there is a shallow and deep end (which is still shallow enough for him to EASILY keep his head above water). He happens to be in the deeper end, flat on his tummy, so it looks rather deep. I always stick him in the shallow end to start so he knows it's there, and he always makes his way to the deep end for a little swim! :)

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Haha so cute!
My leopard tortoise likes to dunk his head all the way in to drink water :p

Status
Not open for further replies.