Look What I found!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Wow was I surprised when I pulled in the driveway today and saw this girl cruising along right in front of me! Thank God I seen her, I would have ran her over if I hadn't noticed her. I'm glad see was moving and caught my eye. I would never forgive myself if I hit her. I think she is a Russian Female. Seems to be in pretty good health a bit of an over grown beak and maybe a little splay legged, or it might be that I'm just use to a Sulcata. Would like your imput is it a Russian? A Girl? And how old do you think she is? She is 7" from front of shell to back, straight across. Thanks

ap91kn.jpg

wgvvuo.jpg

shelber10

10 Year Member!
long island NY
You should probably try to find it's owner it is probably a female if it's that big post a tail picture so we can confirm it's a female

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Thanks Danny! I was hoping you would reply. Do you know about how old?
I know, I know, I have to look for the owners, but they better be a really good home.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
She is about 8 years old and WC. She probably came in between 4 and 5 inches, so has done a bit of growing in captivity.

Danny

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Thanks so much, its good to know a bit about her. I wonder how long she's been traveling. I live in the middle of 5 acres and neighbors are few and far between. She did scarf down half a strawberry with calcium sprinkled on it and happily went to bed.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Be very careful in posting ads and whatnot looking for her owner. Don't give specifics - simply say things like, "Tortoise found in the vicinity of XXXX - please call to identify."

Otherwise you will get all kinds of creeps just looking to get their hands on a free tortoise.

Of course, if you can't find her owner, you can always keep her, or send her to me :D :D :D

(Yes I know I'm awful, lol!!!)

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
egyptiandan said:
She is about 8 years old and WC. She probably came in between 4 and 5 inches, so has done a bit of growing in captivity.

Danny

How can you differentiate from WC and CB? just curious...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I agree with kyryah don't include any details, just lost tortoise please call or email to ID, you will still get a lot of free tort people, but at least they will have to say it is a russian female about so big, did I mention I lost a russian female about 8 inches? :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You can see the difference in color on the carapace from new growth (the lighter colored yellow growth) and the growth that happened in the wild (the dirtier yellow color in the center of the scutes). Wild caught animals will usually be the dirtier yellow color and captive born animals the lighter yellow color. Also with wild caught animals the scutes will have deep growth ridges on the scutes. These happens (the deep grooves) when a tortoise isn't eating in the wild (this happens for 8 or 9 months with Russians in the wild). Captive born animals will never go that long without food, so their growth tends to be very smooth with very few if any ridges in the scute.

Danny

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
egyptiandan said:
You can see the difference in color on the carapace from new growth (the lighter colored yellow growth) and the growth that happened in the wild (the dirtier yellow color in the center of the scutes). Wild caught animals will usually be the dirtier yellow color and captive born animals the lighter yellow color. Also with wild caught animals the scutes will have deep growth ridges on the scutes. These happens (the deep grooves) when a tortoise isn't eating in the wild (this happens for 8 or 9 months with Russians in the wild). Captive born animals will never go that long without food, so their growth tends to be very smooth with very few if any ridges in the scute.

Danny

Thank You ~ see! I'm learning!!!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
kyryah said:
Of course, if you can't find her owner, you can always keep her, or send her to me :D :D :D

At it again, I see. :cool:

Pretty tortie! I can see why you want her to live at your house. :D

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Wow, how crazy that she was in your driveway! I hope you find her wonderful home, or get no replies at all ;D
Great info Danny, thank you for teaching all us newbies.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
egyptiandan said:

Danny

Wow, I love your posts. There's always something new for me to learn in them. Thanks!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Stephanie Logan said:
kyryah said:

At it again, I see. :cool:

Pretty tortie! I can see why you want her to live at your house. :D

I admit 100% Stephanie that I have no shame, lol.

Any update on finding her owners???

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
I agree Danny I love your post two, thanks for sharing your knowledge.
I would really like to keep her two! And just think I might get two! I have been racking my brain where I could possibly set up an indoor house for her when she can't be outside. I don't have a spot. I fixed her a nice outdoor area with bricks I just have a rubber tub in the laundry room with dirt and grass in it for nighttime. I have to set it on the floor and close the door so the dogs can't go in there. Not the best spot but working for now. I feel bad when I have to leave for the weekend and she wont get to go outside. I'm going to have to try and figure something out. I walked up to the side of her outdoor pen today and she came rushing over to see me, so cute. I have been watching and haven't seen any adds about a lost Tortoise, if it was mine I would have the adds up the first day. I haven’t posted I found one yet I don't want people just trying to get her. I guess I should, I will be careful not to put to much info. I have been so crazy busy I haven’t even got a chance to read up on Russians, she's being treated like a Sulcata. She eats her spring mix really well. I still can’t believe she was in my driveway.

JaneF

5 Year Member
TortieGal said:
I still can’t believe she was in my driveway.

Is it possible that someone left her there knowing you are a dedicated tortoise owner, hoping you would take care of her? I'm new to tortoises (thanks to all for the great information!), but it's amazing how often people leave other animals where they believe there is a sympathetic human.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
JaneF said:
I'm new to tortoises (thanks to all for the great information!),

Hi Jane:

Welcome to the forum!!

Status