Look what I saw at work today

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
Haven't been around here for some time, but thought some of you would like this. Had a gentleman get ahold of me some time back and said that he had a yellowfoot that he wanted me to take a peak at......little did I know the treat I was in for.....what a beauty.
21" long, 13 " wide, smooth as a baby's bottom and weighed in at a whopping 56#. I'm hoping he will be getting on the forum this evening and I will let him tell her story....her name is Pedro....didn't have the heart to name change when she decided to lay eggs. Anyone out there interested in working out a breeder loan for a large male Amazon Basin?.....I'm sure something could be worked out. Doc20140206_160531.jpg20140206_160827.jpg20140206_160601.jpg20140206_160831.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, she is pretty. Thanks for sharing,it is a treat. We don't see many of them, and I'm sure none that size.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Doc:

I'm so glad you posted Tommy's pictures of Pedro. Interesting how they lose their colors as they get older. I have 1.2.3 YF tortoises, but they're the smaller versions. I doubt any of mine will ever reach 50lbs! What a treat to see such a big one.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man she is beautiful! Thats one big girl! Do I see new growth coming in? Fifty pounds and growing?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Reminds me of the ones at the St Louis zoo and though I was prepared for their size, I was still blown away by them. You must of have an incredible moment when she came through the door. Glad you took these photos to share with all of us. :)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Holy crap! She is AWESOME!

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Indeed, I am rarely "blown away" by the critters that cross my examination table....this was a very special visit and a very special girl....I was almost giddy and definitely grinning like I had just won the lottery....lol

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Beautiful. Just beautiful.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Wow, a tortoise with taste and magnificence, I'd be willing to share a root beer with that tort any time! :)

yellowfootqueen

Doc,
Thanks for posting Pedro's pictures. It was a pleasure meeting you and having the opportunity to gain some insight on tortoise care from your knowledge and experience. I think it would be really cool if we could locate a mature male and give her the chance to be a mom. A pet of 52 years certainly deserves that, and it would be an honor for me to share a baby yellowfoot with you. Looking forward to one day meeting your group of tortoises.

Thanks again for your time,

Yellowfootqueen

Bryan

10 Year Member!
If you find a large male and breed her, I'd love to buy some hatchlings from you!