LOOK WHAT THEY DID TO MY BABY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
IMG_5087_11-01-2012.JPG I just received my new baby today. He was part of a rescue that started here at this forum. Some may recall that there were 4 sulcatas, three years of age, that were extremely abused by their owner. The smallest one was called "Baby Runt," and this was the one I wanted to care for. Arrangements were made to ship him to Florida, and he arrived in a tiny box. when I opened the box and saw Baby Runt, I burst out in tears. I couldn't believe my eyes! There, in the box, hugging a little heat pad was my baby who was smaller than the sulcatas I received a year ago at one month old! IMG_5088_11-01-2012.JPG

I picked him up, with tears in my eyes, and exclaimed, "Who could have done this to you!" Immediately, I prepared a warm soak and just watched him the whole time. When the water was cooling, I removed him and placed him in the little home I prepared for him in advance. I gave him spring mix and a small dish of water. The enclosure was warm and the humidity was around 80%. Later on, the temp outside was in the mid 70's; so, I decided to give him a hour to soak up the Florida sun. Not surprisingly, he only ate a couple of leaves and weeds. His little frail body couldn't take too much; so afterward, I held him in my warm palms for a long while. IMG_5092_11-01-2012.JPGIMG_5095_11-01-2012.JPGIMG_5097_11-01-2012.JPG

Then, I placed him into his home and watched him through a crack in the lid that covered the enclosure to hold the humidity in. He was walking all around, looking at everything. He stood on the black stones for a while, then he went into his warm hide where I was able to see he had fallen asleep. I put the light out and covered his enclosure. The was our first day together; all this amid an emergency with Beasty Boy. He has stopped eating, pooping, and peeing three days ago. He cries all the time from the pain of that bladder stone. I visited the vet today and he gave him another x-ray, antibiotics, and pain medication until I can get him to the emergency room at the Univ. of Florida Vet. Hosp. tomorrow. More likely he will need surgery. Please pray for his full recovery. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
OMG, I can't believe he is suppose to be three. So sad what people can do to animals. Although, I guess, if they haven't found this forum yet, they do t know how to raise them right:( Good luck with your poor guy Beasty Boy. Sad he is in pain. Hope all goes well and he doesn't need surgery, but if he does, I will be thinking of him, only good happy thoughts for all of you. Keep us posted on both of them.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
You are such a good person to take him in and take care of him. He is truly lucky and blessed to be with you.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
prayers are on its way. he is so lucky to have you caring for him. please keep us updated on his recovery.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Glad you got him and you will be able to give him the daily care that he needs. good food , excercise and real sun will do that little guy good. Good luck with him

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Awe! There's my Baby! I missed him today! I actually got teary eyed just reading you post and seeing the pics. I'm so glad he is starting the rest of this life with you! He deserves to be spoiled like crazy! Poor little guy also had to compete with the other 3 runt torts for food and space until 2 weeks ago. He got walked all over. :(.

Beastly Boy is in my thoughts. I'm so sorry you both are going through this. I wish you both the best and please keep us posted.

And your one year old is the size of the other 3 runts. Almost exactly..and they are all 3 years old.

EKLC

5 Year Member
That is so sad, very glad you're taking him in.

Beasty Boy should be in good hands, the uf small animal hospital has a lot of experience with tortoises, they're treating them on a daily basis, and I've had good experiences with them

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Sending thoughts of speedy and painless recovery to Beasty Boy. Thanks for being a True Hero and rescuing the "Baby Runt".
:tort:

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Well sibi, I'm glad you got him. I'm sure he will get the best of care. I must say, your story was very sad. Thank you for the rescue. Keep us posted on the little guy..

Avarice29

5 Year Member
Poor little thing...
I wish for the absolute best... I will keep both of you in my prayers....

schmodygirl

5 Year Member
mesa, az
Please keep us posted. With pics! I hope Beasty Boy is ok. You and your babies will be in my prayers!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I just love to hear about pet owners who rescue little guys like this. You are a special person and he is so lucky that you care so much. Good luck to you and keep us update please. :) I also love the picture with him with your bigger one. He looks so happy that he has a new friend. :D[/font]

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Laura said:
3 years? no way... 3 mon maybe...
how is the other guy? when do you take him to the vet?

No, he really is 3 years. The 4 I picked up from this lady were from 2 separate clutches. Now, they are small for 3 also, but not THAT small. With the amount of damage from MBD though he couldn't be much younger...his little shell is pretty bad.

And how is Beastly Boy? I've been checking this thread all day for updates on him. Did you guys go to the hospital yet? Or did you say that way Tuesday?

western

5 Year Member
I'm very happy you have him now. I'm sure he is getting a lot better care. Good luck with your new baby..!!!!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
If he achieves decent catch-up growth, his current deformities will seem much more mild in the future as things spread out. His rear shell will likely always have a bit more slope to it, but that may just look unique in time and not be so bad. Water, sunlight, heat, and lots of food.

Status
Not open for further replies.