Look who was in my driveway today!

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Wow, gorgeous! Does anyone know how common overgrown beaks are on wild specimens? That looks a bit like an escaped pet to me.

Wild box turtles do not have overgrown beaks and nails. I agree someone is lonesome for their lost turtle tonight.

Angel Carrion

Location (City and/or State)
Douglassville, PA
Are we all 100% positive that a wild boxie will never have a slightly overgrown beak like that? I agree, it's rare, but the big boy looks healthy and good otherwise, except maybe a slightly dry shell, but there's no pyramiding and his nails look great. So is it possible he could be wild and just be enjoying a bit more fruit than usual?

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Are we all 100% positive that a wild boxie will never have a slightly overgrown beak like that? I agree, it's rare, but the big boy looks healthy and good otherwise, except maybe a slightly dry shell, but there's no pyramiding and his nails look great. So is it possible he could be wild and just be enjoying a bit more fruit than usual?

Well, you can never be absolutely sure about anything. I might not wake up tomorrow.
But I see other signs of a term in captivity.
While males are generally leaner than females, he has a slightly emaciated look to me.
Sometimes if a turtle has suffered injury or insult to the area it can cause abnormal overgrowth.
But without close inspection can't tell.
terryo is the go to on box turtles

vocalisa

5 Year Member
Stafford, VA
I am out in the agricultural zone with a lot of wild box turtle activity in my yard of 10 acres. He does look kind of "pristine" but it's not super likely that an escapee would make it into where I found him. Interesting...

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I am out in the agricultural zone with a lot of wild box turtle activity in my yard of 10 acres. He does look kind of "pristine" but it's not super likely that an escapee would make it into where I found him. Interesting...

People often release unwanted turtle pets in outlying areas like yours, especially at summer's end. But you never know.
I have never seen a wild box turtle with an overgrown beak or nails.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I absolutely agree. I have never seen a wild box turtle, ever, with an overgrown beak, and I've see many. This was definitely someone's pet, long enough to have an overgrown beak. If he escaped or someone put him there I couldn't tell you. Even if he was fed a healthy diet, his beak could still become like that. Otherwise he looks healthy to me. Sometimes people find a Box Turtle and keep him for a while and they let him go. Anyway, it's just my opinion.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I am sorry but I respectfully disagree. Its not uncommon for wild male Eastern Box Turtles to have an upper hooked beak.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I've never seen one and I've seen many through the years, but anything is possible, I guess. The only land turtles I've ever seen here are Eastern's.