Looking for 18"+ female sulcata

Danielle4440

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Hello to all,
Hoping someone out there might be able to point me in the direction of 18 inch or larger female Sulcatas who are in need of a new home. I have males already, so I can only take in females as I do not want fighting. Willing to pay and cover shipping, if needed. I am located on the west coast of Florida. All my torts have a beautiful setup, and I take in those who are in need of homes. I do not breed or rehome. They will live with my family forevermore.

If there are folks out there that need to rehome any species of tort, just let me know. I also have several smaller Sulcatas, lots of Redfoots, three Leopards, and a Russian. Plenty of room at the inn still as I live on acreage, and they are all welcome. :) Yes -- I am willing to pay a fair price to ensure they go someplace safe and can stay put. Moving is stressful! :)

Thanks,
Danielle

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
You take in tortoises, you don't breed but you are willing to pay for a 'female' Sulcata? There are many rescuers and many rehabbers who are long term members here....welcome...but it just seems to me if you can have a female separated from the males, you could also keep another male separated...just sayin...
100_0500.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You do realize that the males should not live together as they will fight and the female can't go in with a Male because he or they will try to breed her to death.
Check your local Craigslist and call around to local rescues.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maggie's post makes a lot of sense.

Danielle4440

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Oh my goodness! My males are all separated and I would only put three or more females with each. I have done a good deal of research on this. I have space and was only trying to help home females as well since the males are alone and can live with females as long as there are multiples. Only trying to help torts who need homes folks. Yikes please don't think I am up to something awful. I care about my torts very much and have done extensive research on them for years now. There are so many that need help and I have space and enjoy caring for them. My whole family does -- it is what our family bonds on. When I said I do not breed them I didn't mean that I was not planning to put multiple females with a male -- I meant that we do not hatch babies and sell them. There are plenty of Sulcatas out there! We don't need more.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Then help me understand. If you put three females in with one male, each female will lay three or for clutches of maybe 20 eggs a year. . . That's 60 or more eggs a year. Do you plan to chop up the eggs in the nest with a shovel? The females are expending a big amount of calcium with all those eggs. I don't understand why you think the males need females??? I've had a perfectly happy male sulcata who has lived alone for the past 10 or 15 years.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Then help me understand. If you put three females in with one male, each female will lay three or for clutches of maybe 20 eggs a year. . . That's 60 or more eggs a year. Do you plan to chop up the eggs in the nest with a shovel? The females are expending a big amount of calcium with all those eggs. I don't understand why you think the males need females??? I've had a perfectly happy male sulcata who has lived alone for the past 10 or 15 years.
Oh my goodness! My males are all separated and I would only put three or more females with each. I have done a good deal of research on this. I have space and was only trying to help home females as well since the males are alone and can live with females as long as there are multiples. Only trying to help torts who need homes folks. Yikes please don't think I am up to something awful. I care about my torts very much and have done extensive research on them for years now. There are so many that need help and I have space and enjoy caring for them. My whole family does -- it is what our family bonds on. When I said I do not breed them I didn't mean that I was not planning to put multiple females with a male -- I meant that we do not hatch babies and sell them. There are plenty of Sulcatas out there! We don't need more.
If you are planning to put females in with males, you WILL get breeding attempts and eggs laid as the species is very prolific. When you say you don't breed, does this mean you will destroy all the eggs rather than hatch them?

Or have you possibly designed a sulcata chastity belt (LOL)?

Danielle4440

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
I dispose of all the turtle eggs, no matter the species. I don't feel we need more when so many are already in need of homes. Also, I only have two larger males that each have a large area they live on. I do not have some big need to bring females into their lives but only felt since each has so much room that we could easily house females as well and wanted to help others in need. I was only trying to be kind. I suppose yes, I could divide the areas up and keep the males and females separate, but I watched for years my reptile vet, who taught me what I know, have one male living with many females, and it worked out wonderfully. This is why I do not socialize on these sorts of things -- the world is such a cruel place. Everyone assumes that you are a horrible person up to something awful. It makes me so sad. You know it is almost funny... I have adopted three children, my profession is in child maltreatment prevention, and I rescue turtles and various other animals who are in need, and yet I am sitting here defending myself for offering to take in the unwanted and provide a beautiful home for them for the rest of their lives while true villains go around doing horrible things. Never mind folks, I will remove myself from the forum.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I dispose of all the turtle eggs, no matter the species. I don't feel we need more when so many are already in need of homes. Also, I only have two larger males that each have a large area they live on. I do not have some big need to bring females into their lives but only felt since each has so much room that we could easily house females as well and wanted to help others in need. I was only trying to be kind. I suppose yes, I could divide the areas up and keep the males and females separate, but I watched for years my reptile vet, who taught me what I know, have one male living with many females, and it worked out wonderfully. This is why I do not socialize on these sorts of things -- the world is such a cruel place. Everyone assumes that you are a horrible person up to something awful. It makes me so sad. You know it is almost funny... I have adopted three children, my profession is in child maltreatment prevention, and I rescue turtles and various other animals who are in need, and yet I am sitting here defending myself for offering to take in the unwanted and provide a beautiful home for them for the rest of their lives while true villains go around doing horrible things. Never mind folks, I will remove myself from the forum.
Don't take such offense to the questioning. We have no clue about you. Now with that in mind, read your original post. You do not breed but you want females for your males. Does that really make sense for someone that doesn't want to breed?
Also, if you have the room and dont want to breed, then there is no reason you can't take infemales, but house them seperate from the males. You possibly can house many females together if you give a big spot of your land to them and many different hides, water and food stations and sight barriers. They will fight much less then males.
So, hopefully you see your post thru our eyes a bit better and realize we just need clarification. We do get a lot of scammers on here. Not trying to say you are one, but that's likely the reason for suspicions and clarification needed.
Btw, also look in our adoption section.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Don't leave...help us to understand who you are