Looking for a “stay small” breed tortoise for my children.

BrookeAB

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis, TN
Hi! I am looking for a couple tortoises for my children to have lifelong companions! I have a son and a daughter that are both very excited to start their reptile journey. I know smaller size doesn’t mean smaller enclosure, but I want to start them out with something manageable. Through my hours and hours of research, I have found that this forum organization is the best and most reliable way of adopting tortoises.
Thanks so much!
Brooke

BrookeAB

Memphis, TN
Greetings & welcome. I’m going to say get a Russian. Good “small” tortoise that you can manage in 4x8 ft enclosure.

just remember, if you get two, they will require separate enclosures.

good luck
Thank you for responding! Russians are definitely on our list. Oh yes, we have already designated areas to each tortoise to keep them separated. Separate enclosures will help keep the peace between my children too. ;)
Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for responding! Russians are definitely on our list. Oh yes, we have already designated areas to each tortoise to keep them separated. Separate enclosures will help keep the peace between my children too. ;)
Thanks!
Russians, hermanni and greeks would all be good choices. If you don't mind buying a large closed chamber, then Burmese stars would be a good option too.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hermanni - ours is 21 now, and he is a wonderful little friend, and gives so much fun and pleasure. Russians are very good at escaping, and that could be a problem - otherwise, they are similar in many ways.
Angie

BrookeAB

Memphis, TN
Hermanni - ours is 21 now, and he is a wonderful little friend, and gives so much fun and pleasure. Russians are very good at escaping, and that could be a problem - otherwise, they are similar in many ways.
Angie
Hermanni are my daughters first choice. How big is yours at 21?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I am sending a photo which gives an idea how yours might change as they grow older. Zola was nearly 20 at the time, and my talented husband has also superimposed two pictures of him from years ago - on the left, he was 2 and on the right he was 3. As you can see, his pattern has changed a lot, but that doesn't always happen - I've seen ones with quite a bit more pattern older than him. We think he is lovely, and he gets stroked a lot, which is why his shell is so shiny!!
Angie

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Sorry - I can't see how to post the photo - I have sent lots before, so maybe it's my computer - will try again tomorrow.
Angie

qiangzhu

Washington
Personally I think Hermann tortoise shell pattern is more beautiful and fancy than Russian and Greek. Western Herman is smaller than eastern herman and it’s shell is usually considered to be more beautiful than eastern Hermann but it is also more expensive.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Thanks!
Hello there is a person trying to find a home for his Russian tortoise on this forum cause his owner does not have time for him! This is the title of his post so you can look it up. ( looking to re-home a Russian tortoise) hope this helps!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi,
If you are thing of Russian, Hermanns or Greek, this is the up to date caresheet that covers all those species and may help you decide.
I'm pleased you are planning to keep them separately because torts are solitary creatures and are happier alone.
Good luck in your search.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome. I like a Russian because they are a great beginning Tortoise. If you take on a Russian you'll have to learn what their capabilities are though. Yes they climb. Yes they can escape the little boogers. Other times they scare you to death because they just sit there like a rock. But there's a lot of good things about them too. Their adult needs are pretty easily met. They are usually pretty sociable with the humans that care for them. They stay small. But of course the others mentioned here on TFO do also. Best wishes.?

BrookeAB

Memphis, TN
Hello there is a person trying to find a home for his Russian tortoise on this forum cause his owner does not have time for him! This is the title of his post so you can look it up. ( looking to re-home a Russian tortoise) hope this helps!
Thank you so much! I just posted on his thread. I love the idea of helping one out like this!

BrookeAB

Memphis, TN
Hello and welcome. I like a Russian because they are a great beginning Tortoise. If you take on a Russian you'll have to learn what their capabilities are though. Yes they climb. Yes they can escape the little boogers. Other times they scare you to death because they just sit there like a rock. But there's a lot of good things about them too. Their adult needs are pretty easily met. They are usually pretty sociable with the humans that care for them. They stay small. But of course the others mentioned here on TFO do also. Best wishes.?
Thank you! I have read great things on Russians, but the escape capabilities scare me a bit.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Sorry - I can't see how to post the photo - I have sent lots before, so maybe it's my computer - will try again tomorrow.
Angie
Hello again - I haven't been able to post Zola's photo, but if you look for a thread called " Zola meets his earlier selves," it is there, dated July 16th, 2021.
I don't think the relative sizes are totally accurate, but you will see the pattern.
I measured his shell just now -he is approximately 16 cm (six and a half inches) long, and 12 cm (five inches) wide, at the widest part of his shell- which is near his back legs.
I still think Russians are a little more difficult, because of the possibility of them escaping, but any tortoise variety is a collection of different personalities !
Angie

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thank you! I have read great things on Russians, but the escape capabilities scare me a bit.
They can walk up a wall but they to have support on their back to do that. And they know that and how to scoot things to do just that. I don't really have that problem because I watched him a lot in the beginning. His outdoor enclosure has lids with hardware cloth so I know he can't escape. His indoor enclosure has strategically placed furniture that he can't move around or climb. I also place his furniture in his outdoor enclosure with the same thoughts so that he can't flip flop on his back. He's stuck with me his mommy dearest ?