Looking for a Great Home in Az for 20" Male Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

heatherhousefinder

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have a male that I have had since he was two, his name is Juji. That translates to "heap of love" in Swahili. He is about 8 now and is around 60lbs. at 20" long. He is very social, likes his face and head petted and thinks that colored toenails MUST be a special treat! Unfortunately, he was fed a crummy diet prior to my ownership of him. He was given was too much much fruit and packaged greens that were borderline good for him, at best. He was spoiled and refuses to eat hay, even fresh special yummy hay... Up until the last two and a half years he was eating very, very well. Dandelion greens, collard greens, mustard greens, grass, hibiscus leaves and flowers, cacti flowers and occassional pads, snail vine flowers, lady banks roses, grape leaves, etc.
Since my relationship split two and half years ago he has been on a diet not near as good for him, as I was forced to move and he had to make a dirt backyard his new home. I have managed to get some grass going, but that is all that has survived to date. I buy him green peppers, hot peppers, squash, romaine and mostly he eats the grass I have here. I have tried planting stuff to grow... but my ex was the green thumb and I KILL everything. Since then, I just buy as much as I can, but I think he would definately eat more than I can put out for him. I am a realtor and am not surviving financially in this market... I have made less than $20k this year and I am living on my equity I had to pull from my house last year. I am just about to start a new job... but, needless to say I am not in a financial position to feed or properly care for Juji. In addition, he developed a problem with his midline scutes going down his back, which at this point I am about 99% sure is from him damaging himself against the footings of my cement block fence. He chose to dig a burrow there, he always resisted pre-made dog houses, etc. He is scraping his shell and opening it up... I took him to the vet and used the anti-microbial spray she recommended, but I haven't been able to afford to take him back as she suggested.
Since then, my 15 yr. old cat has been diagnosed hyperthyroidism... and I have chosen to focus what vet expense I can handle on treating her. Also, I am wondering about Juji's burrow... two sides of my home fence border the "outside world" not neighbors. I am also a bit concerned he might dig himself out and be in harms way. He loves to dig and I just wonder how far he has dug at this point...
He does not do well with other tortoises, as I had a desert tort that I placed and also another hatchling that he was raised with that I also placed years ago. He was flipping that tortoise over onto his back. He was humping the little desert and started doing damage to his shell... so, I have a BIG problem child!
I LOVE HIM, please understand that... I have TRIED SO HARD and am quite upset about his shell, he has some pyramiding (from his under 2 diet, according to the vet). She also said to get him alfalfa. I tried to find locally, able to be planted in my yard, to no avail. He won't eat the fresh alfalfa hay or the cubes either. So... I am at a loss. I can't afford to buy what I should for him, my yard isn't working well enough for him and I can't afford the care he needs.
My DREAM is to find the perfect tortoise owner who will take him and give him the right space to dig in and roam in. He is used to my maybe 600 square feet of dirt/grass and another 100 of concrete patio. He loves space, of course... so the more the better.
I am willing to travel reasonably to place him, if needed. I am in Mesa, AZ. Thank you...
Contact me at [email protected] or 602.339.7900
Feel free to forward to interested parties.

Attachments

• photos 053.jpg
    photos 053.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 41
  • photos 058.jpg
    photos 058.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 43
  • photos 061.jpg
    photos 061.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 55
  • photos 054.jpg
    photos 054.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 54
  • photos 062.jpg
    photos 062.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 34
S

sethpoet

What a beautiful turtle! I live in st louis missouri where I have a huge yard with lots of grasses of all types and a waterfall and pond! I have had turtles in the past and am looking for a special one to be spoiled. I travel to arizona frequently and could pick him up:) thanks Seth

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
I will post this over at azreptiles.com forums for you. I will also send this to any tort folks in the area that I know.

Good luck in placing him.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Seth.. Its a Land Tortoise and your pond might be deadly to one...How deep is it? You might want to rethink what you want to take in or make sure a tortoise wont have access to the pond.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Hi Heather,

If you could PM me your contact information I have some interested folks in the area.

heatherhousefinder

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks so much everyone! I have had two good local contacts and will be talking with them both shortly. I am excited for Juji... he deserves the world and is so awesome. He will eat right from my hand and with a little time, right from someone else's too. I could visit him if he was close by, too~

heatherhousefinder

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you Seth. Yes, he is a land tortoise and a pond could be quite dangerous to him. Mostly, the problem is that you live in Missouri...burr! Juji is from Africa and loves the AZ sunshine. He will also likely reach 150 pounds eventually. Thank you though and I hope you find the right species and critter to spoil!

sethpoet said:
What a beautiful turtle! I live in st louis missouri where I have a huge yard with lots of grasses of all types and a waterfall and pond! I have had turtles in the past and am looking for a special one to be spoiled. I travel to arizona frequently and could pick him up:) thanks Seth

Status
Not open for further replies.