Looking for a Greek buddy?

GreekGarp

Location (City and/or State)
Nederland
Hi all!

We just got a Greek tortoise 5 days ago and he is our first reptile friend. We are DESPERATELY trying to do everything right to make him a happy and healthy little tort, but we find we run into soooomany tiny little questions that are hard to answer with all the conflicting info on the internet.

So I would love to have someone who I can just text questions to when I get confused, anyone want to be my Greek tort mentor?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Just ask away in this forum. One to one is all very well, but we all have lives and families and torts to look after and sometimes, for the very best of reasons, we cannot be around to answer your questions when we are needed most; a thread gets the attention of everyone :)

I am happy to answer questions on the forum. I don't always get the alerts when I am tagged so, if you want a response from me, send me a PM with a link to the thread and I will look in on it if I am around :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its a sure bet that other people also have your same questions. Ask away!

When you get conflicting answers, it is an opportunity to learn. Ask why one person tells you to use sand, while others feel you not to. Its in the explanation of these differences that the most learning can occur.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree. Your questions are better asked on the open Forum rather than just one person/buddy.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum.

Please begin by posting pics of your tort as well as his enclosure. This would enable the experts to help you.

Btw even I have a Greek tort, so I'll do what I can to help you, though I'm not an expert.

GreekGarp

Nederland
Im still looking for two proper stones, one for basking and one to replace the tiny fooddish. The light (behind the black flaps) is a halogen reflector sunspot pro UV-A. Its size is off the top of my head 40x40x70cm.
So far I have been experimenting a bit with food - chicory and coriander so far are favorites, (mainly chicory), Ive got some Andive to try as well. So far I fed him twice a day a little bit, but I think it was waaaaay too little. After reading a bit on this forum I now try to supply him with food all the time so he can just eat whenever he wants. I also think he was a bit dehydrated (we hadn't bathed him yet, as the shopowner told us once a week was enough), and I think his waterdish may have been a bit too high, we dug it in a bit deeper now. After his soak today he looked so much more energetic, and he pooped for the first time (to my relief!)IMG_20180925_185538.jpg IMG_20180923_120022.jpg IMG_20180925_181500.jpg IMG_20180925_182747.jpg IMG_20180925_190107.jpg