Looking for a potential new home for adult Sulcata

nateandsherry

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern Nebraska
We have an adult male sulcata, we got as a hatchling 12 years ago. Currently he has a large yard for grazing, and a heated 13x20 outbuilding for the winter, but unfortunately we have to move later this year and we're concerned we won't be able to accommodate him at our new place due to space. We love him dearly, but are trying to consider what's best for him. Because of that, we want to see if anyone out there is looking and can offer him the same level of care he's used to.

We're in SE Nebraska, but we'd be willing to drive considerable distance to deliver him to the right home. It's very important to us that he gets the care he needs, if we can't find the right home then we'll do the best we can, but we're trying to do right by him. Darwin is a healthy little bulldozer, about 22 inches long, and probably in the neighborhood of 60 pounds (though we haven't weighed him in a long time).

Thanks everyone for reading this.

30289519118_7d33fa652e_z.jpg

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
He is a beautiful boy; great looking smooth shell. I'm so glad that you're thinking of what's best for him, but isn't there any way to move and still keep him? I'm sure that he provides hours and hours of family fun.

nateandsherry

5 Year Member
Eastern Nebraska
Thank you...he does provide lots of entertainment, and we're definitely weighing our options heavily. One of the big concerns we have is winter housing, especially because we'll be moving in October. Right now I don't know how we can realistically over winter him in the place we're moving too, and by October in Nebraska he'll need immediate winter housing...there won't be time to build something. If we can somehow make it through the winter, then there's a chance we can figure out a more permanent solution, even though space will be more limited. Like I said, we really just want what's best for him and we all know how important space is to these guys. I'd definitely love to hear any suggestions those living in cold climates have for quick temporary winter housing.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I really hope you find a solution where you can keep him! He’s absolutely beautiful and I know he’d be happiest staying with you!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I live in Nebraska. Boy, you did a great job with him!

CJW

Oregon
We are in a similar situation. Good luck finding a trustworthy home for him. He looks like you've taken great care of him :<3::tort:

Atubbs03

Benton,Ar
We live in Arkansas and would love to have him. We have a fenced yard and a large barn area with electricity that he could stay in during the winter (or he’s welcome in the house). We could meet you.

reed123

Longview, TX
I live in East Texas and would love to have him. I have 35 acres for a huge pen and enclosed enclosure with heat. I will meet you half way. If interested email me at [email protected]

Starkville,MS
I’m sure you have found him a home by now, If not, and you still need a home for him, we would love to have him! We have a petting farm in North MS. He would have plenty of grass and room to roam. Go check out our Facebook page, Heaven’s Jubilee Farm. If you need, my email is [email protected]

Johnny30122

Columbia, Missouri
Hi, Im not sure if you still have your sulcata but my boyfriend and I are looking for a sulcata and would preferably not get a hatchling. We are in Columbia Missouri. (Exactly in the center of Missouri.) If you still have him, email me at [email protected] !!!