Looking for a Tort [emoji5]♥️

launiemonet

Location (City and/or State)
Washington, DC
Hi guys!

I’m Launie , and I’m really interested in having a Tortoise as a pet! They seem like they’re adventurous and open-minded creatures.

My only problem is that I live in an apartment. I know that tortoises can get pretty large in size. Are there any tortoises that stay a pretty small size? I want us both to be comfortable !

If anyone knows of breed that I can keep in my apartment that won’t grow large please let me know! Thank you!

xoxo,

Launie

launiemonet

Washington, DC
Hello and Welcome. There are a couple that stay small. However, they still need to have a summer outside enclosure and a 4x8 foot inside enclosure.

Okay. Since I live in an apartment, and the yards are a shared space, where could I put the outside enclosure? Could I put it on my patio/deck ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome. If I were you I would look at the caresheets on the forum for each species to help you decide which would best suit your circumstances. They all need big spaces as they grow because they are wandering animals by nature and it is not good to have them wander around your home. Different species have different needs regarding temperatures humidity and diet etc and they are not as easy to keep as many people think. So take your time to research to make sure you can give a tort the best and healthiest home possible.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would recommend a Russian. You can use the balcony, but a yard enclosure is best. If you can't use the yard then the balcony it is. For those without a lot of space a two story enclosure works for giving the tort enough room.
None of the primade enclosures are big enough and they are more then what they are worth.
Read the care sheet and look into building your own enclosure or repurposing other things for the enclosure, like raised garden beds, kiddy pools, several tote boxes, etc.

launiemonet

Washington, DC
Hi and welcome. If I were you I would look at the caresheets on the forum for each species to help you decide which would best suit your circumstances. They all need big spaces as they grow because they are wandering animals by nature and it is not good to have them wander around your home. Different species have different needs regarding temperatures humidity and diet etc and they are not as easy to keep as many people think. So take your time to research to make sure you can give a tort the best and healthiest home possible.

Okay! Thank you so much!

launiemonet

Washington, DC
I would recommend a Russian. You can use the balcony, but a yard enclosure is best. If you can't use the yard then the balcony it is. For those without a lot of space a two story enclosure works for giving the tort enough room.
None of the primade enclosures are big enough and they are more then what they are worth.
Read the care sheet and look into building your own enclosure or repurposing other things for the enclosure, like raised garden beds, kiddy pools, several tote boxes, etc.

Sweet! Thank you so much for helping!

rnchick74

Louisville, KY
Welcome! I live in an apartment for right now, but have a large patio. We just got a 3 year old E. Hermann's. He has an inside enclosure that is large, but we will need to build a much larger one as he grows. He also just completed an outdoor enclosure - it's a large kiddie pool, rigid plastic that he can be in while we are home on nice days. He demonstrated that he can almost make it out, so we will be tortoise proofing the patio fencing so if he gets out of the pool he can safely explore the rest of the patio. We hope to be in a house with a large backyard in the next few years. PLEASE do your research on breeds, care, and who you get your tortoise from before jumping in.

Antoni

Hi guys!

I’m Launie , and I’m really interested in having a Tortoise as a pet! They seem like they’re adventurous and open-minded creatures.

My only problem is that I live in an apartment. I know that tortoises can get pretty large in size. Are there any tortoises that stay a pretty small size? I want us both to be comfortable !

If anyone knows of breed that I can keep in my apartment that won’t grow large please let me know! Thank you!

xoxo,

Launie
Not exactly tortoise, but you can look into types of box turtles.