Looking for a tortoise(turtle) specie to buy I need urgent help please

Tyrell90

Location (City and/or State)
Frystak
Hi guys, Im new here, from Czechia, hope I find there new friends and help with care etc. First of all, Im experienced with snakes, iguanas but never had a turtle and I decided to buy a new friend for upcoming birthday. Would you advice me turtle/tortoise, actually which species I might choose from please. I live in a house with big garden so in warm months the turtle can be outside, but I guess in Czech it can be just spring and summer. Not exactly sure, rest of the year should be inside in the house. Either terrarium or watever enclosure You guys suggest. My budget is 250-500 USD. Any kind of help and few words about recommended species is highly appreciated. I ordered lot of books but due to covid its somewhere stucked, so havent studied literature so far. Excuse my bad English and I wish Happy New Year to everyone!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I don’t know which species can be purchased in your country.

However, the Testudo are widely available and a good tortoise for a climate like your.

The care for Testudo graeca (Greek), Testudo horsfeldii (Russian) and Testudo Hermanni (Hermann’s) is all much the same.

Give this care sheet a read to see what’s involved

Tyrell90

Frystak
I don’t know which species can be purchased in your country.

However, the Testudo are widely available and a good tortoise for a climate like your.

The care for Testudo graeca (Greek), Testudo horsfeldii (Russian) and Testudo Hermanni (Hermann’s) is all much the same.

Give this care sheet a read to see what’s involved
Hi and thank you, any other species than these? This Im already aware about and considering it, but would like a wider choice, appreciate your help!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi and thank you, any other species than these? This Im already aware about and considering it, but would like a wider choice, appreciate your help!
Sulcatas grow rapidly to 50-60kg nad cannot hibernate so yoh need to plan indoor accommodation for them for half the year. They’re more than capable of pushing their way straight through brick walls.

Leopard Tortoises require similar care to Sulcatas , but don’t grow quite as big. They can still be too heavy to lift.

Redfoots and yellowfoots are tropical rainforest species that require constant high heat and humidity and would be unlikely to get outdoors much. They also grow pretty big and would need a large covered enclosure indoors.

Even the Testudo I mentioned will need a large enclosure indoors until they reach approx 500g when they can hibernate in winter. They need a lot of space.

gibby

Philadelphia
Hi guys, Im new here, from Czechia, hope I find there new friends and help with care etc. First of all, Im experienced with snakes, iguanas but never had a turtle and I decided to buy a new friend for upcoming birthday. Would you advice me turtle/tortoise, actually which species I might choose from please. I live in a house with big garden so in warm months the turtle can be outside, but I guess in Czech it can be just spring and summer. Not exactly sure, rest of the year should be inside in the house. Either terrarium or watever enclosure You guys suggest. My budget is 250-500 USD. Any kind of help and few words about recommended species is highly appreciated. I ordered lot of books but due to covid its somewhere stucked, so havent studied literature so far. Excuse my bad English and I wish Happy New Year to everyone!
i have a redfoot i love dearly if u want a smaller one mabey a russian or a hermans tortoise

dawsonpan

CA
Maybe you want to adopt a Russian tortoise or a Mediterranean climate tortoise. Probably best for the region, it does get cold during the winter and these species might be able to handle that better. But of course, during that time they should be indoors to avoid getting respiratory diseases. Hope this helps!