Looking for a tortoise who can survive (and hopefully thrive) in the Michigan climate!!!

JYope

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I live in Michigan aka a wet and cold climate (but it can get up in the 90s in the summer too). I have my heart set on a tortoise but in about a year and a half to two years I’m going to college so I need something that can live in this climate without harm but also hopefully be able to live in a dorm for a little while. Please help, thanks!!!

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Welcome to the forum!

There are lots of torts that you can keep in your climate if you are willing to have an indoor enclosure for the winter months or you could get a species that hibernates and get very familiar with how to hibernate a tortoise... it is a process and can be deadly if not done properly.
BUT all tortoises need a large enclosure. Most need 8x4ft and you probably can't do that in a dorm. Also if you hibernate your tort you'll need a mini fridge (that's right! You put them in the fridge!)
Unfortunately a tortoise isn't a good choice if you are short on space.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum.

I for one live in Jordan, where it snows. Oli is fine indoors, thank goodness.

However, space is an issue with torts, as they are used to roaming around in the wild without boundaries.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You will need to setup an indoor enclosure. I don't think there is any Tort that can live in your climate outdoors year round.

JYope

Michigan
Welcome to the forum!

There are lots of torts that you can keep in your climate if you are willing to have an indoor enclosure for the winter months or you could get a species that hibernates and get very familiar with how to hibernate a tortoise... it is a process and can be deadly if not done properly.
BUT all tortoises need a large enclosure. Most need 8x4ft and you probably can't do that in a dorm. Also if you hibernate your tort you'll need a mini fridge (that's right! You put them in the fridge!)
Unfortunately a tortoise isn't a good choice if you are short on space.
What tortoises do you think would be the best for my situation?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The trouble is, even though the tortoise is small, he still needs quite a large enclosure. I don't think a dorm is a good place for a tortoise enclosure. If I were you, I'd put my desire for a tortoise on hold until you're out of college and have your own place.

Once you have your own place, a Russian tortoise would do fine in Michigan. He hibernates (brumates) through the winter, so he can live outside clear up to autumn, when he'll start to wind down and get ready for brumation, when you box him up and 'store' him in a cool dry place until Spring.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Any tortoise can do fine and thrive in Michigan, many already do. It all depends on what you can afford to do and if you have the space too do it.
Even small tortoises need a lot of space indoors and out.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You will need to setup an indoor enclosure. I don't think there is any Tort that can live in your climate outdoors year round.
Toddrick, you forgot the rare and reclusive White Spotted Snow Tortoise of Outer Mongolia.
Just joking!!!:D:eek:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I live in Michigan aka a wet and cold climate (but it can get up in the 90s in the summer too). I have my heart set on a tortoise but in about a year and a half to two years I’m going to college so I need something that can live in this climate without harm but also hopefully be able to live in a dorm for a little while. Please help, thanks!!!
JYope, there are quite a few clowns on this site...please forgive us. It just helps to make the site more enjoyable and provide comic relief sometimes!
There are lots of people who keep tortoises although they live in cold places...all you need is the space and the ability to provide correct conditions and diet to make him comfortable!

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Have you thought about maybe an aquatic turtle that stays small? Something you could keep in a 20 gallon long tank while at college. Some of the North American mud and musk turtles would be good options.

Quixx66

Louisiana
Can’t he find a baby hermann’s To stay in a tub for a bit if he wants a tortoise and not aquarium in his room?

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I would recommend either a Marginated Tortoise or a Russian Tortoise. Both are hardy, tough tortoises that can take night time temps down into the 30's. Once your temps are down below 35, I'd suggest bringing them inside. You could set up a winter enclosure or choose to brumate them through the cold months.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I would recommend either a Marginated Tortoise or a Russian Tortoise. Both are hardy, tough tortoises that can take night time temps down into the 30's. Once your temps are down below 35, I'd suggest bringing them inside. You could set up a winter enclosure or choose to brumate them through the cold months.
These torts do not tolerate temps that low ! Even when they are brumating.