Looking for advice with unresponsive vendor.

JoFisch

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I am in an uncomfortable situation. I prepaid for a tortoise hatchling from a well known breeder. I have seen nothing but good comments about this breeder on the forum. I paid in February and was told to expect the hatchling sometime in late Spring to early Summer. As I was setting up my enclosure, I emailed the breeder twice I think and got replies. The last day of May I sent an email asking if there was an update as to when to expect the hatchling. I received an email saying they were very busy and the laying was delayed by some weather changes but I could expect an update soon. I haven’t heard anything since. I emailed at very beginning of July, then sent a facebook message 1-2 weeks later and 3 days ago I tried to start a conversation with the breeder here on the forum. I know this breeder is very busy with lots of conservation work and may have had some personal challenges as well but seems to be back in the thick of things as far as social media goes. I will try email again but I’m pretty discouraged. I imagine I could make a complaint to PayPal but I’d rather not burn a bridge to someone who seems very well respected and has a lot of knowledge. I also have been anticipating this little hatchling with my 9yr old daughter and fear that if I give up on this purchase, I’ll have to wait another year to purchase from a reputable source.
I’d appreciate any advice.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Your situation is strange because it runs counter to every other experience people have had with this breeder (Yes, You've given enough clues to figure it out). Now that's not to say it's not happening. If you truly reached out this many times with no response and you were told/promised something that has not been delivered or explained properly then I think you need to follow up with PayPal. Breeders/vendors regardless of reputation aren't always perfect. I would like to hear their side though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am in an uncomfortable situation. I prepaid for a tortoise hatchling from a well known breeder. I have seen nothing but good comments about this breeder on the forum. I paid in February and was told to expect the hatchling sometime in late Spring to early Summer. As I was setting up my enclosure, I emailed the breeder twice I think and got replies. The last day of May I sent an email asking if there was an update as to when to expect the hatchling. I received an email saying they were very busy and the laying was delayed by some weather changes but I could expect an update soon. I haven’t heard anything since. I emailed at very beginning of July, then sent a facebook message 1-2 weeks later and 3 days ago I tried to start a conversation with the breeder here on the forum. I know this breeder is very busy with lots of conservation work and may have had some personal challenges as well but seems to be back in the thick of things as far as social media goes. I will try email again but I’m pretty discouraged. I imagine I could make a complaint to PayPal but I’d rather not burn a bridge to someone who seems very well respected and has a lot of knowledge. I also have been anticipating this little hatchling with my 9yr old daughter and fear that if I give up on this purchase, I’ll have to wait another year to purchase from a reputable source.
I’d appreciate any advice.
Without knowing who it is, I really couldn't say much. I cannot tell who you are referring to by the what you've said.

I won't take money from anyone until just before shipping, so long term promises and payments for babies that have not hatched or eggs that have not been laid seems odd to me. Having said that, tortoises are not my business. I just do it as a fun hobby on the side.

I'd try to reach someone that personally knows the breeder in question. If you are unsuccessful, then cut your losses and buy one somewhere else. Lots of flaky people in the world, and animal people seem to be worse in this regard. I say that as a career animal person. What species are you looking for? We can make recommendations.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Your situation is strange because it runs counter to every other experience people have had with this breeder (Yes, You've given enough clues to figure it out). Now that's not to say it's not happening. If you truly reached out this many times with no response and you were told/promised something that has not been delivered or explained properly then I think you need to follow up with PayPal. Breeders/vendors regardless of reputation aren't always perfect. I would like to hear their side though.

Enough clues. Hhhmmmm. We have a real life Columbo here on TFO. Might as well call out the vendor in question. Not Tom, not Mark or Will or Yvonne! Can’t be Lance.

There has to be some major breakdown in communications?

JoFisch

Platinum Tortoise Club
Washington
Thank you all. ZenHerper suggested another way I could try contacting the vendor that I’ll try. I didn’t want to make a formal complaint about this person because I didn’t think that my experience was representative of how he typically does business. It is just hard to be the person who fell through the cracks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you all. ZenHerper suggested another way I could try contacting the vendor that I’ll try. I didn’t want to make a formal complaint about this person because I didn’t think that my experience was representative of how he typically does business. It is just hard to be the person who fell through the cracks.
I do believe I know who you are talking about. I would wait a bit more. I know little about what has been going on with them and am sure they will get a tortoise to you. Their reputation is very good.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Enough clues. Hhhmmmm. We have a real life Columbo here on TFO. Might as well call out the vendor in question. Not Tom, not Mark or Will or Yvonne! Can’t be Lance.

There has to be some major breakdown in communications?
1626635803131.png
If we are talking Hermanns and we are talking reputable breeder, there are only a limited number. Factor in some of the other things and there's only one.

I'm glad this got resolved amicably.