Looking for an RT Hibernation "Mentor"

BudderTurtle

I do what tom and Jodie do as well, fast for 2 weeks and cool down for ten days. Right now I aim for 40-45 degrees

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I do what tom and Jodie do as well, fast for 2 weeks and cool down for ten days. Right now I aim for 40-45 degrees

Seems like a good way to go. How long have you been doing it this way, and any problems to report?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Tomorrow is 4 weeks of hibernation for Stevie, and I'm super happy to be waking his lazy butt up! ;D Just kidding -- he loves his sleep and he's been doing very well all this time. I've been a very nervous tort mommy, but I know he's a tough kid. At 46°F, my fiancé and I didn't think he should be out for too much longer, which stinks here in Michigan as the majority of our winter snow and cold is just about to hit at this time of year. But that's just how it worked out this year. His mommy misses him too much though! I can't wait to see him again!! :<3::<3::<3:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Tomorrow is 4 weeks of hibernation for Stevie, and I'm super happy to be waking his lazy butt up! ;D Just kidding -- he loves his sleep and he's been doing very well all this time. I've been a very nervous tort mommy, but I know he's a tough kid. At 46°F, my fiancé and I didn't think he should be out for too much longer, which stinks here in Michigan as the majority of our winter snow and cold is just about to hit at this time of year. But that's just how it worked out this year. His mommy misses him too much though! I can't wait to see him again!! :<3::<3::<3:
Hey, How is he doing? Mine are at 6 weeks , seem to be ok. I only let myself check them every couple of weeks. Check temps n open door quickly daily, but leave them alone. My temps are doing good 38 to 42 consistently. I plan to start waking them 2/1.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
He seems like he never hibernated! Back to normal and active! :) Probably about ready for mating season although he has no mate... XD I know he just loves his sleep so he's probably a hibernation expert but keeps it a secret.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Will be checking their weights in the morning but its been 3 weeks temps averaging 41 - 43 degs. Still have 7 more weeks! Wonder if they ever have bad dreams? Should i be concerned because temps did drop to 37- 41 degrees for a couple of days. Can't wait for the weather to break so i can get out and work on their outdoor enclosure.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Will be checking their weights in the morning but its been 3 weeks temps averaging 41 - 43 degs. Still have 7 more weeks! Wonder if they ever have bad dreams? Should i be concerned because temps did drop to 37- 41 degrees for a couple of days. Can't wait for the weather to break so i can get out and work on their outdoor enclosure.
My understanding is temps varying is ok. You want it as stable as possible, but you should be fine.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Great. The temps dropped outside so the basement started getting cold. I open the door at least 3 times a day....i don't want them to get carbon dioxide poisoning, just kidding. I just like peeking in at them and monitoring temps.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Aw, I know, it's hard to stop worrying about them during hibernation!!! :oops:

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Checked their weights again this week, each only lost 1 to 2 grams, and my big girl didn't loose any. Temps now 41 to 43 deg F. I can't wait for spring to get here want to get outside working on my tortoise Utopia.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Lucky you! I'm letting my sleep till March 5th, unless the forecast calls for unfavorable conditions. If so then i may let them go another week. 10 to 11 weeks. Seems so long.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Mine were in for just a couple days shy of 10 weeks. I will go 12 to 14 next year.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Happy to report all 4 of my Russians are awake n well. Very glad to be getting them up successfully.
Great to hear! :) I'll bet they're well rested and energized now!

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Another week and weights are OK. I'm just a little concerned about one of her eyes. It seems a little crusty or maybe i'm just being overly worried. 4 more weeks......seems like forever!

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Another week, 3 more to go, everyone weights are looking good. I ended up waking up my crusty eyed girl, shes eating and drinking great and putting on good weight. My only concern is that every morning she still seems to have crusty eyes, any ideas?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hmm. Hopefully just a minor irritation. You are not using coil bulbs right? Are you rinsing it, or have you tried eye ointment at all?