Looking for an RT Hibernation "Mentor"

AZGirl

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
If your tortoise is going to brumate safely he needs to be at a consistent temperature between 37-45 degrees. If he’s consistently cold he doesn’t need to be woken up to drink; it’s extremely dry where he’s from, basically a high desert. If he isn’t cold he is going to burn off some calories and weight, which you don’t want. Do you have a place in your house where the temps will stay like that for a few months?

You can weigh him now and again if you brumate him; weight loss of ten percent or more is concerning, some people consider it to be five or more percent. That would be a time to bring him out and get him in an indoor habitat with lights and heat. I’ve had a year where my tortoise lost one percent, another (stressful) where she lost eight. Usually the most weight is lost when she is going down but still moving around. I make sure she has an opportunity to drink before brumation and these days we put her in a very dark box so she goes straight to sleep.

Russians are hardy and can do okay with a year or two of suboptimal conditions but you still have time to wake him up or brumate him safely. Both take effort; both are pretty scary when you are a new owner.
He decided to go to sleep when we had cold temps. I have not disturbed him... temps are cold again 25/48 this week. Hi is in a dbl cardboard box in unheated part of house. We keep our house on the colder side, even where we heat. 37-45 degrees for a Sonoran Desert Tort? Is that right. I’m going to get thermometer for room. AZ weather fluctuates a lot. High has been in 40s, by end of week back up to 60 outside lows in low 30s. I was going to do refrigerator, but I’m scared. Do you check on them, if so how often? Do you just touch them to see if they move? I have him on table, but can’t fall. There is occasional noise in there from washer/dryer but didn’t seem to bother him last year. I think temps were too high for him last year, but he seemed to do okay. Thanks for reply.?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
He decided to go to sleep when we had cold temps. I have not disturbed him... temps are cold again 25/48 this week. Hi is in a dbl cardboard box in unheated part of house. We keep our house on the colder side, even where we heat. 37-45 degrees for a Sonoran Desert Tort? Is that right. I’m going to get thermometer for room. AZ weather fluctuates a lot. High has been in 40s, by end of week back up to 60 outside lows in low 30s. I was going to do refrigerator, but I’m scared. Do you check on them, if so how often? Do you just touch them to see if they move? I have him on table, but can’t fall. There is occasional noise in there from washer/dryer but didn’t seem to bother him last year. I think temps were too high for him last year, but he seemed to do okay. Thanks for reply.?
Ah, I didn’t realize you had a desert tortoise. You have really great local resources that I would consider; Arizona Game and Fish has always struck me as a good one. Desert tortoises do need it a little warmer. Take a look at their hibernation resources here: https://www.azgfd.com/wildlife/nongamemanagement/tortoise/coldweathercare/. You likely have a local desert rescue/interest group near you, if you Google it a bit. Those are your experts; if you have questions about temperature variations I’d reach out to them.

When I first hibernated my Russian I checked on her alllll the time. She didn’t need it but I did! Maybe once a week after she got to a stable cold temperature. Nowadays I almost have to remind myself about it, every two weeks or so. A tortoise will still move a bit if you touch a back foot. Once last year she was so zoned out that I kept her out a few minutes until she moved her foot. I “knew” she was fine but had to check.

Your tortoise can’t hear sound but can feel vibration. I’m sure you’re not keeping him *on* the dryer so if the temps are good it should be fine. :)

You will get much more accurate temperature readings with a temperature gun; both in ambient temperature and the specific temperature for your tortoise. Plus they’re lots of fun! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMI632G/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

If your tortoise is in a dry, relatively temperature stable place there is no need to rush fridge hibernation this year.

I know it’s a little scary! It’s doesn’t matter how they hibernate or how many times we’ve seen it, it’s still can still be stressful for some of us. I’m a anxious person generally so even though I’ve done it a few years I’m always nervous. She is the only reptile I’ve ever had and it’s so different from caring for a mammal, things always seem new.

AZGirl

Arizona
Ah, I didn’t realize you had a desert tortoise. You have really great local resources that I would consider; Arizona Game and Fish has always struck me as a good one. Desert tortoises do need it a little warmer. Take a look at their hibernation resources here: https://www.azgfd.com/wildlife/nongamemanagement/tortoise/coldweathercare/. You likely have a local desert rescue/interest group near you, if you Google it a bit. Those are your experts; if you have questions about temperature variations I’d reach out to them.

When I first hibernated my Russian I checked on her alllll the time. She didn’t need it but I did! Maybe once a week after she got to a stable cold temperature. Nowadays I almost have to remind myself about it, every two weeks or so. A tortoise will still move a bit if you touch a back foot. Once last year she was so zoned out that I kept her out a few minutes until she moved her foot. I “knew” she was fine but had to check.

Your tortoise can’t hear sound but can feel vibration. I’m sure you’re not keeping him *on* the dryer so if the temps are good it should be fine. :)

You will get much more accurate temperature readings with a temperature gun; both in ambient temperature and the specific temperature for your tortoise. Plus they’re lots of fun! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMI632G/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

If your tortoise is in a dry, relatively temperature stable place there is no need to rush fridge hibernation this year.

I know it’s a little scary! It’s doesn’t matter how they hibernate or how many times we’ve seen it, it’s still can still be stressful for some of us. I’m a anxious person generally so even though I’ve done it a few years I’m always nervous. She is the only reptile I’ve ever had and it’s so different from caring for a mammal, things always seem new.

oh thanks so much. No he’s not ON the dryer. Lol.?

So they can’t hear when they’re sleeping bc he seems to hear my voice when he’s awake and will come towards me or appear. I will use those links you provided, thank you.I was on fish and game last year. I’ll check again. I didn’t think I saw a temp range. I am in the high desert, so I’m about the end of his range, a little beyond actually. Thanks for all the info. This forum is an Excellent resource with the best folks!! Thank you all!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
oh thanks so much. No he’s not ON the dryer. Lol.?

So they can’t hear when they’re sleeping bc he seems to hear my voice when he’s awake and will come towards me or appear. I will use those links you provided, thank you.I was on fish and game last year. I’ll check again. I didn’t think I saw a temp range. I am in the high desert, so I’m about the end of his range, a little beyond actually. Thanks for all the info. This forum is an Excellent resource with the best folks!! Thank you all!
Good luck with hibernation this year! :)