Looking for Biological Opinions that involve the Desert Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertMan

5 Year Member
Hi, does anyone have or know where a relativley consise collection of Desert Tortoise biological opinions are? I'm specifically looking for ones that are involved in Utah and are from the Utah FWS office. I've found quite a few from AZ, and a select few from CA and NV. If anyone has an idea on where I can get these, that would be great.

Ideally, I am trying to find EVERY opinion. But I know that is a stretch.

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Desert Man:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name? And I assume you're in Utah?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry, biological opinions of what? We have lots of Gopherus agassizii keepers here on the forum, and I'm sure they have lots of opinions about them. Specifically, what info are you looking for? We have at least one biologist who is a member here and specifically studies the CDT. Can't remember his user name. He doesn't post often.

Anyone else remember his username?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Chelonologist, Tom...but I think "opinions" is another word for papers written on the subject.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D The Do you host a Desert Tortoise ? There use to be a really detailed packet that you can download on the Utah wildlife site....

http://wildlife.utah. gov/dwr/

You will fi.d at the bottom of the page to Adopt a desert tortoise....

There are like 40+ pages.....I don't know exactly what your end goal is....maybe let us know a bit more specifically what you are looking for....:D

DesertMan

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! Thanks for the warm welcome! Emysemys is correct. A biological opinion is a paper released by the Fish and Wildlife Service for proposed construction projects that involve theartened and endangered animals. I'm trying to collect ALL of them involving the Desert Tortoise, but I'm sure most are not online and most likely nothing before the year 2000 since they are all hard copyed. If anyone has access to these, that would be very helpful.

Thanks!

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
DesertMan I've got a collection of a couple hundred BOs that have been issued by the Fish and Wildlife Service, but they're primarily for California, Nevada, and Arizona. I have most in pdf format. Your best bet is to contact the regional FWS office that serves the Utah area and ask for copies. Best of luck!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Desert Man you have me so curious about why you are collecting these. It sounds like an exciting project. If it is not a secret can you tell us about it on a new thread?

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I've just started volunteering at a nature center located on a Refuge. The FWS office is located on the same property, but it's CA. They have a great relationship with the nature center, so I can probably get documents from them. Don't know about Utah though.

EKLC

5 Year Member
I think since their distribution is limited to only the south west corner of Utah, they may only have opinions issued from the nevada office

Status
Not open for further replies.